Quote post using keyboard

There is no method for keyboard users to quote a post. It would be nice to have the option.

you could possibly reply and then “quote whole post”, a bit of a stretch but we could easily add a quote whole post option, that you later edit down.

So far, I’ve failed to find any way to activate the toolbar buttons without a mouse…

shift tab seems to work, but is super tedious

I’ve tried that, and it doesn’t seem to work on either Firefox or Chromium. It takes me to my browser search bar.

Works fine for me in IE11 which is what I happen to be on at the moment. Enter editor, shift-tab (move backwards in focus) a few times, then space to activate the toolbar button.

Enter editor. Shift-Tab gives me a cursor on nothing in particular at the bottom of the window.

Space bar at this stage scrolls the page down.

A second Shift-Tab and I have no idea where focus has moved to, but space bar does nothing.

A third Shift-Tab and I’m in my browser search bar.

Firefox 29

On Chromium (Version 34.0.1847.116 Ubuntu 14.04 aura (260972)) the first Shift-Tab takes me directly to the browser address bar.

I just got shift tab to work in Chrome. Will try firefox next.

K, it took 22 shift-tabs to get to quote whole post in Firefox (I didn’t count in Chrome)… But the focus indicator is weak in Firefox, so it may be unnoticeable on certain setups, thus not making it obvious it is reachable via the keyboard.

Ah - alright, thanks. I can guarantee I wouldn’t have kept going that many times when instructed to Shift-Tab “a few times”. :smile: And yes, it’s really hard keeping track of focus in Firefox, so that doesn’t help.

So while technically it is possible, it’s not exactly practical. I’ll continue to use my current workaround of linking, (now much easier, thanks to @sam’s recent fix)and live inhope of a better solution.

Making q should be fairly trivial, I really hope a developer that actually cares about keyboard shortcuts would help us out here.

Its very hard for us to prioritize power-user features so close to 1.0.

I appreciate your problem.

For me, it’s very definitely not a “power user” issue, but an accessibility issue. I have real problems with a mouse, and the more I can do by keyboard, the easier life is for me - and I know I’m not alone in this.

I follow, I feel for you. I used to work with someone with severe RSI who ended having to stop being a programmer.

While trying to recover he used to rotate multiple mouse configurations (track pad, mouse, roll ball etc) and got a kinesis keyboard with an adjustable tray.

I am sure we will get this stuff resolved it will just take a bit.

And as a programmer, I’d love to, but I just don’t have the time to spend on outside projects right now. Maybe one day in the future, but I’d be lying if I thought that would be within the next few months.

My problems are mostly poor co-ordination and muscle spasms, so not quite the same. I’m useless with a track pad, but I’ve often wondered if a roll ball might be easier than a mouse. We live on an island and there’s nowhere here I can try one to see, but maybe I should put it on the to-do list for next time we’re on the mainland - probably October.

Meanwhile, getting the post action shortcuts fixed has really made a big difference. I know I keep saying that, but you’ve no idea what a hero you’ve just become. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This reply was brought to you by pressing the key q while the above post was selected using k

In other news j/k is MUCH improved on topic pages, less jitter, does not take you to some random spot on first press, allows you to reach suggested topics

2 Likes

Hey - that’s magic! Thank you (on all counts). Not just a hero, but a superhero. :smile:

1 Like

k j r < k b d > k j r & l t ; k b d > k j r & a m p ; l t k b d >

:stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.