Quoting emojis on Google Chrome can be... hard!

This is a minor annoyance, and I’m not sure if there’s something that can be done about it, but I thought it was worth reporting.

When a sequence of several emojis is used on a post, it’s very hard to select them for quoting with Google Chrome, when there’s not something before or after (eg: other text or other lines) to anchor the selection. Admittedly, an edge case.

Oddly, in Firefox it sort of works ok, and in Safari it works as you’d expect. Only Google Chrome seems to not play well with this. Well, for me anyway — this was all on a MacOS with latest versions.

Because this is best demonstrated with an example where there’s only a sequence of emojis, I’ll try to post an example right after this: to reproduce, simply try to select the emojis (with dragging over the selection) in Google Chrome and hopefully you’ll be able to see what I mean.

Edit to add: seems some emojis and perhaps some emoji sets are more finicky about this than others. My testing had been done with the Apple/International set, by repeating a large emoji like :pie (which looks different here).

3 Likes

:grinning: :smiley: :smile: :grin: :laughing: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I mean:

Triple-clicked to the right of the emojis and hit quote. Also works if you triple click amongst them. Doesn’t work if you click directly on one though.

2 Likes

Sure, there’s several ways to select text to make this work — I meant the most common drag-a-selection method as not everyone knows a workaround.

This may be dependent on browser internals, so I’m sure it’s something that can easily addressed. Although it’s perhaps worth mentioning that this doesn’t happen with a line with a single emoji. So, for some reason, seems to affect only a sequence of them.

2 Likes

If I click drag from within the group of emoji I can select all but the last (or first) one.

Maybe just don’t quote emojis? Does it really help make your post more effective?

1 Like

Have you tried testing to see if this happens on Microsoft Edge?

Does this affect all Chromium browsers?

1 Like

You can also press the first button on the editor toolbar for a full quote, try it.

1 Like

This bug is definitely going to cause a ton of support requests. If it’s easy to fix, let’s fix it; if nobody can figure it out then we’ll just have to deal with explaining it over and over…

1 Like

:thinking: let’s at least see more than one before we go that far.

That said if the fix is easier and faster than discussing, go for it with my blessing!

3 Likes