Redirect all users who click on domain.com/signup to a different page

I’m currently trying to redirect all potential new users to a landing page instead of having the modal show up. What would be the most elegant way to do this? If they sign up I would create their account via the API

You can use SSO login

1 Like

Right, but I feel that’s just too complicated. I simply want to just not have anything change on the site and simply redirect all those who want to sign up to a different page as I still want them to be able to log in and not have the css change or trying to add in another login button

No, you can’t do it without a plugin / theme customization.

1 Like

If I was to make this a plugin could I do something like this, and not even need the javascript just with the plugin.rb?

# name: signup
# about: /signup plugin for Discourse
# version: 0.1
# authors: nadermx

after_initialize do
  Discourse::Application.routes.prepend do
    get 'signup' => '//newdomain.com'
  end
end

Signup button click won’t call server route to navigate like your plugin example. It will just display the ember popup in browser.

So you only need a custom signup link via theme customisation.

In permalinks? I tried setting up a permalink for signup to a extarnal link called new.domain.com/ but it still just shows the sign up modal

When the signup button clicked nothing else will happen except displaying the popup. So you have to change the behaviour of the button or replace it with a link.

Right, I’m trying to replace all the /signup links on the button and in the login

I’m just confused as to what is the best way to do this? You suggested making a plugin, but now you are suggesting replace the link.

This is what I’m trying to do but still a bit confused

I suggested you for plugin / theme customisation. It is possible in both ways. But creating a custom rails route won’t help.

Alright, I’m trying to edit the theme instead and have put this javascript in my </head> section

<script>
    document.getElementsByClassName(".sign-up-button").onclick = function () {
        console.log('this should print');
    };
</script>

But when ever I click it it does not show in the console.

I’ve also tried variations, it does show the element but no actions of the js are working on it such as

<script>
    var thingy = document.getElementsByClassName("sign-up-button");
    console.log(thingy);
    thingy.onclick ="return false;"
    thingy.onclick = function() {
        window.location.href = "https://join.example.com";
    };
    console.log(thingy);
</script>
1 Like

I still can’t seem to get this to work as it seems even if I put the script in the </body> of the admin pane, it still always shows the length as 0 of the html collection. I suppose it’s because it’s firing before the document is fully loaded?

<script>
    var thingy = document.getElementsByClassName("sign-up-button");
    console.log(thingy.length)
    for (var i = 0; i < thingy.length; i++) {
            console.log('pring this');
    };
</script>

Any help would be apprecicated