Might you know of a quick and easy way to make it so when someone clicks the search icon, instead of having that input field popup, visitor will be redirected to discourse.local/search?expanded=true?
Not sure if that’s the quickest/easiest/best way, but, yes, that’s what I did so far in case:
- hide the default icon with css
- add a custom icon with the icon-header-links component
- link that icon to your custom page
Though I’d combine it with either customizing the expanded search view. Or actually directing to a custom Docs page.
Are you sure you want to do that?
The search panel is context-aware. So, it gives your users a much more nuanced search experience.
- Search for user posts when on a user page
- Search in category when on a category page
- Search in tag when on a tag page
- Search in topic when on a topic page
It also gives them an option to search globally on all of those pages.
Making the search icon redirect to
/search means that you lose all of that unless users input that information manually or select them in the full page search options.