Refreshing at 'all categories' and individual category level

Hi folks - I’m sticking this in support rather than features because I’m not sure what the state of play is with it…

At the ‘all categories’ level, refreshing for new material is dealt with very well, with the tab alert and with the blue ‘new stuff’ bar at the head of the topic list.

Individual threads also update very neatly for new posts.

But as far as I can see, at the individual category level, the notification button is the only thing that gets refreshed when there’s new content. There doesn’t seem to be a tab alert or a ‘new stuff’ bar.

Am I missing something? Or needing to switch some settings? Or is this current behaviour and needs to be a feature request? :sunny:

3 Likes

I agree that would be nice… a feature request. Not sure how many people idle at the category level but I suspect it will be more and more as we get to larger Discourse instances, cc @sam

1 Like

Would you like me to move this into features? :sunny:

We’re using the category level a lot so that we can run support for a number of different language courses on one instance - it seemed like a very neat solution for us, so I can certainly imagine other sites with wide ranging userbases doing something similar.

Lovely work, by the way. We were banging our heads against the wall trying to roll our own, we were so desperate to escape from the legacy systems - very pleased to see how many of the things we really wanted have been baked into Discourse :smile:

On the same line of thought: the “Latest / New / Unread / Starred / Top” bar of options seems to appear for ‘all categories’ and at sub-category level, but not for first level categories. :sunny:

And still on the same line of thought - it seems that the top level ‘all categories’ page does an automatic refresh, but that the first level category page doesn’t - looks like the same sort of ‘people won’t be living on first level categories’ thinking, perhaps? :sunny:

The original feature request here now works, but I just tested some similar scenarios to understand what to expect with the current version of Discourse and here’s what I found:

• :white_check_mark: refresh indicator shows up on main latest page
  • :x: refresh indicator shows up on categories + latest page
  • :white_check_mark: refresh indicator shows up on a category’s topic list page
  • :x: refresh indicator shows up when filtered by tag
  • :x: refresh indicator shows up when filtered by category + tag
4 Likes