Remove profile pages for anonymized users

Currently if a user want to leave a Discourse community, he/she can’t delete everything due to limits of Discourse. The recommended thing to do is to request admins to anonymize the user’s profile. The problem is, some users are OP of popular topics, so people remember the OP even if he/she is anonymized. And then using the profile page, people can still see everything he/she posted. Anonymization is only like changing a username, nothing more. Is it possible to remove the profile pages for anonymized users?

3 Likes

You can hide the profile by selecting “Hide my public profile and presence features” on the Preferences/Interface page of the anonymous user, if that’s any use in the short term?

Though I think users could still do an @mention search for the anon username, and pull up all their posts that way.

3 Likes

Yes, searching is also a problem. Probably Discourse can also hide the search results for anonymized usernames accordingly.

I’m sorry but I can’t find it. Could you post a screenshot? Thanks!

You should have a similar box on your own profile here on meta - Preferences/Interface

2 Likes

Got it, thanks! It turns out that there’s a setting I did not check, therefore this option did not exist in our forum. Now i can see it!

2 Likes

Sorry, I think I’d just got used to it being there. :slightly_smiling_face: For anyone else looking at this topic later, the admin setting is allow users to hide profile:

2 Likes