Remover maximum amount of registration

Registration Limit from IP Address

I get a lot of registration on my forum, how to remove this option?

1 Like

You’ll have to play with the setting max_new_accounts_per_registration_ip
But honestly, why are your registrations coming from the same IP? That seems like a bad configuration.

2 Likes

I don’t know, but it was my friend who had this error

to remove do i need to put 0?

I have a community on the social network with +100,000 members, we are switching to the forum, so no registration limit will be great :wink:

1 Like

This is a failsafe to prevent spammers from registering multiple accounts … If your friend received it, as an admin, go to the /admin/users/ and on his account, check other accounts with the same ip … If those belong to him, ask him to not register multiple accounts … if the IP address is something awkward (e.g. a private range) then there is a configuration issue with your installation that needs to be addressed first.

2 Likes

the forum registration is working only through google

He was unable to register, how am I going to check the same IP?

1 Like

the problem is cloudflare, so please tell me how can i remove the limit to 0?

cloudflare IP

1 Like

Really the best solution would be to add the cloudflare template in your app.yml

This should be at the top area of app.yml and probably looks similar,

templates:
  - "templates/postgres.template.yml"
  - "templates/redis.template.yml"
  - "templates/web.template.yml"
  - "templates/web.ratelimited.template.yml"
  - "templates/web.ssl.template.yml"
  - "templates/cloudflare.template.yml"

Notice at the bottom where templates/cloudflare.template.yml was added.

After adding it you’ll need to rebuild.

3 Likes

I don’t know much about the forum, how do I open this file to change? And after that how to rebuild?

Disable cloud flare. You will only cause yourself pain and suffering.

6 Likes

What does it do?

If I disable, won’t SSL work?

can you tell me how to remove this IP address limit?

The cloudflare template fixes the ip registration issue, yes it is an issue if something goes wrong. And SSL will work but you’ll have to launch setup again and input an email for Let’s Encrypt.

If you still want to use cloudflare I can help with that when I get home later.

2 Likes

If you run ./discourse-setup again and provide an email address for “let’s encrypt” you’ll get a free https certificate. Unless you have reason to expect denial of service attacks on your community and have some serious technical chops and time to read a bunch about the problems that CloudFlare can cause, that’s the best solution to your problem.

1 Like

I’m confused by your answer, I don’t know how to add this file, why do I need to install it again?

ok, if i enable SSL, can i keep cloudflare active?

I’m confused by the answers

1 Like

It’s best to disable cloudflare (turn off the orange cloud).

If you expect your community to be attacked for some reason and you are confused by the answers here then you need to hire or otherwise find someone who is not confused by these answers to help. But if you turn off the orange cloud, your problems will go away.

1 Like

ok, there is no solution, how do I activate SSL?

what is this file for? Doesn’t it solve the problem?

If you followed the recommended installation instructions, you run ./discourse-setup again and provide an email address when it asks about “let’s encrypt”. If you installed some other way, then you’re on your own.

1 Like

Won’t that do the installation again?

there is no way I can just enable SSL without having to install?

It sort of will in a sense, but no data is deleted. However there will be some downtime.

Overall I would not recommend using cloudflare unless you know what you’re doing and are willing to put up with it.

But anyways, it’s safe to rebuild and nothing will be lost.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.