Registration Limit from IP Address

My users are getting the following when they try to signup:

“New registrations are not allowed from your IP address (maximum limit reached). Contact a staff member.”

I didn’t set a limit that I know of, so not sure why this is happening. We are all at the same three IP address because the forum is for a company intranet.

1 Like

Either relax the limit in site settings or make sure there is at least one staff member from each IP.

What is that setting called though? I can’t find it.

Go to Settings and search for ‘registration’ - have a look for “max new accounts per registration ip”

It’s in the ‘spam’ menu item in Admin > Settings.

3 Likes

If I make it 0 will it be unlimited?

Not sure - make it six nines to be safe (don’t go too high or it might overflow)

We protect against overflows in settings because this has happened many times before.

2 Likes

I changed the option to 100 and I still have the issue. Does it take some time to be taken into account?

Ok sorry my IP was blocked. I authorized it and it’s now working.

2 Likes

thankq this replay is good for me :grinning:

Hi Jeff,

I relaxed the settings and also restarted the instance but still facing this error

“errors”:{“ip_address”:[“New registrations are not allowed from your IP address.”]}

Anything else I can try? Or do to debug better?

Thanks,
Evan

1 Like

Are you using a reverse proxy on your server, or Cloudflare?

2 Likes

I use cloudlfare and get this problem.

Add the Cloudflare template to your app.yml and rebuild.

Sorry what is the cloudflare template?

ssh into your server and edit the app.yml file to add this to the templates block:

- "templates/cloudflare.template.yml"

make sure it’s aligned with the other templates in that block. The YML file is very sensitive to any indentation errors. There need to be two spaces before the -

Then save and rebuild.

2 Likes

Thanks for this! Our site is behind cloudflare - I tried adding templates/cloudflare.template.yml to our app.yml but am still running into the same error message. Is the cloudflare template mutually exclusive with the web.ratelimited template?

1 Like

It is still happening. I am using discourse APIs.

Is it fix now ?

not with me