Reply-by-email TL plugin

Maybe you’ve also had problems with new members (ab-) using the reply-by-email feature. I feel that if you force users to first get a grip of your Discourse instance by using it via web, things run more smoothly. As soon as they reach TL 1 or 2, it’s pretty safe to include the reply-by-email feature (which I personally really like a great deal!).

In order to have a setting like so:

…I wrote this tiny little plugin:

https://github.com/JSey/reply-by-email-TL

which does the trick. I really see this more of a “ironing out tiny wrinkles in a great product”. But maybe you have the same problem in your community, so here’s a potential solution.

7 Likes

Out of curiosity… are emails from TL0 or 1 captured as “Needs approval” or?

1 Like

For them, Discourse acts as if reply-by-email was disabled. There is no reply token generated, no reply by email instructions are included in the emails, only the “click here to reply” link.

They don’t really get a chance to reply. :wink:

2 Likes

Very cool. I wasn’t sure if you were also allowing Topic creation via email, and what would happen in that situation.

Oh, topic creation is a different setting for which Discourse already offers a restriction by TL! That was one oft my motivations to write this…

Here are the original Discourse settings for topic creation via email (settings->email):

3 Likes