Replying to a whisper should not show the whisper toggle

Hello!

Replying to a whisper in most cases should be a whisper however if you toggle whisper to make it public again, the post continues to be a whisper. This often requires me to delete that post and repost at the top level.

Is this the intended functionality?

See:

4 Likes

Yes, it is. Once you whisper, there’s no way to make it public again.

If you want, just copy & paste into another post and delete your whisper.

2 Likes

My question then would be when replying, if I haven’t explicitly made it a whisper, why would the toggle whisper option be there? I don’t mean reverting the original whisper here, I mean replying to a whisper but toggling that.

Idk seems strange to have a toggle option that doesn’t toggle.

If you reply to a whisper, it’ll automatically be a whisper. But I agree we should not show the toggle in that case.

2 Likes

That would be my thought as well. Either hide the toggle or actually allow the toggle. I personally would prefer allowing the toggle however either would work.

I’m for hiding it, whisper can be risky, and anything that might push you in a state where you would end up thinking your message is a whisper and is in fact not a whisper is to be avoided I think.

9 Likes

@jordan1909 we won’t show the whisper toggle when replying to a whisper anymore :strawberry:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/61447a8046b9c57b474a7973017de145615f8b61

4 Likes

@zogstrip

Excellent! Glad to see that put in place.

This topic was automatically closed after 22 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.