Unable to retroactively make a post reply into a whisper

(Tobias Eigen) #1

Continuing the discussion from How do I create a whisper post?:

I just wrote a whisper reply and forgot to select the whisper toggle, then saved changes. I then went back during the ninja edit window and edited the post but there is no whisper toggle available. To fix this, I had to copy the text of my post, delete it and then recreate it. <phew>

Better would be to be able to see the whisper toggle. As moderator or admin, it seems to me I should be able to do this anytime on any post, even to help coordinate and stage replies before publishing them.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Er, the cat is out of the bag once you post as a not-whisper. Going back and retconning posts into whispers via editing is not something I can support as a feature.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

Yeah, it wouldn’t be “honest UX” either, because even if you could change that post to a whisper after the fact, an email might have already gone out. We don’t wanna give users a false sense of security with this type of mishap.

I’d be interested in mockups for an even clearer whisper-on editor though. I think the editor should look quite different when you’re writing a whisper.

(Christoph) #4

How about the other way around, i.e. making a whisper public?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #5

Might not be super hard to do but then again the workaround is incredibly straight forward.

(Tobias Eigen) #6

I’m back to this issue - we’ve been doing some frantic whispering in our community, with hilarity ensuing because we sometimes hit the wrong button to reply and forget to make sure we are whispering. Then deleting the public reply, writing a new whisper reply.

I understand the points made by others above and support them. But what if we were able to switch it still during the ninja edit window? The reply might blink in public briefly but then that’s what happens anyway until we rush to delete and recreate as whisper.

(Christoph) #7

That’s a good idea as it avoids the problem that