Reset the user-selectable avatar Ops-error 500

When I add a user-selectable avatar, and then reset the user-selectable avatar, it suddenly shows an Ops-error 500, and then I can’t do anything.

Add:This happened once before, but it disappeared after ten minutes. v2.9.3 beta

After half an hour it was working fine

But magically after half an hour I didn’t do anything and it didn’t work again,Show the same error page.

3 Likes

I can replicate this (136f7dbf78)

• Added a couple of selectable avatars
  • Enabled selectable avatars mode for everyone

• Reset selectable avatars, though the green tick was unpressable
  • Reset selectable avatars mode
  • Got ‘Ooops. The software powering this discussion…’

I can’t get rid of the Ooops screen. :thinking: My test site is now down and out, across both test user and admin, on Chrome and Firefox.

5 Likes

Check the logs in /var/discourse/shared/standalone/logs/rails/production.log and see what the error is and report that.

And then you can go into rails and un-do the changes you made. I think with something like

Sitesettings.selectable_avatar_whatever=false

You can use tab completion after you type selectable or maybe start with avatar? I don’t know how that stuff works off the top of my head.

4 Likes

I have jumped on my laptop to have a look at the logs. I’m still fairly new at this, so correct me if I’ve pulled out the wrong thing. :slight_smile:

Started PUT "/admin/site_settings/selectable_avatars" for 176.25.113.180 at 2022-03-26 10:09:12 +0000
Processing by Admin::SiteSettingsController#update as */*
  Parameters: {"selectable_avatars"=>"", "id"=>"selectable_avatars"}
Completed 500 Internal Server Error in 62ms (ActiveRecord: 0.0ms | Allocations: 3529)
NoMethodError (undefined method `to_i' for []:Array
Did you mean?  to_s
               to_a
               to_h)

I think that is the original error, though there are more from my attempts to access different pages after. Is that the right thing?

Taking a closer look, it appears the errors are the same, just triggered by different pages:

Started GET "/login" for 176.25.113.180 at 2022-03-26 10:21:13 +0000
Processing by StaticController#show as HTML
  Parameters: {"id"=>"login"}
Completed 500 Internal Server Error in 9ms (ActiveRecord: 0.0ms | Allocations: 1824)
NoMethodError (undefined method `to_i' for []:Array
Did you mean?  to_s
               to_a
               to_h)
3 Likes

I think it’s that the selectable avatar setting it on but the avatar list is empty (that’s the empty array that is causing the error, I think) . So you need to either disable selectable avatars or add some avatars. I don’t know how to add them offhand, so disabling the setting I think might work.

4 Likes

Sorry for the delay, that took me longer than expected to land on the right words. :slightly_smiling_face:

SiteSetting.selectable_avatars_mode="disabled"

Running that has now returned my test site to me. :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks guys, I got it !

4 Likes

Nice work, @JammyDodger! You can take out some of the guesswork by looking in conf/site_settings.yml in the source. They way you can more easily search for what you’re looking for. You can also attach /search in the ux, but here the ux was broken…

Glad you’re back in business @daming!

This does still seem like a bug. I’m sure it’ll get attention after the weekend.

3 Likes

We will have a look over the next 7 days or so. Happy we have a workaround.

3 Likes

We have this fixed per:

:confetti_ball:

5 Likes