Restore Mailing List Mode Daily Summary

It doesn’t disable the digest but it does provide another option.

Exactly! If you’re limiting what goes out in the summary, it now becomes a digest. Which is the default setup in Discourse.

2 Likes

hi @joebuhlig and @pfaffman,

thanks for your replies. but i don’t really get it and maybe you can help me out:

what settings would I need to change to change the current behaviour (ALL topics are included in the daily summary even if the reached the user already during the day because the watch the category)?

thanks in advance,
etienne

If I understand correctly, all you need to do is turn off the mailing-list-mode-daily-summary plugin.

The thiing is that the summary might not include ALL of the posts for the day, it chooses just the top 5 or something. You can see what the normal summary looks like at (something like) /admin -> email -> summary.

1 Like

ah - now i get what you are telling me.

as we need ALL messages to get to our users in the daily summary using the build-in function is not an option. it does not send out all messages.

thats why we are using the mailing-list-mode-daily-summary plugin in the first place.

but now we are getting comments from users about getting messages twice: first as mail during the day because they are watching a topic and then later in the mlm-daily-summary again.

but probably it is not consistent with the idea of a daily SUMMARY to exclude certain messages (that have been send to the user already). so users have to get used to getting things twice i guess.

If your users watch the categories that they want they will get all of the messages. They do get each one individually rather than a single message with all of them.

People who watch a category or visit the site regularly don’t need mailing list mode or the plugin.

Sounds like you have a conflict between the staff’s desires and the users’ desires. Staff wants everyone to see everything, but the users only want to see a summary.

I’m guessing you’ll need to rectify that discrepancy first.

2 Likes

yes, you are right @joebuhlig. we’ll decide on that in the team.

as for your proposal of paying 200$ for the bugfixes: we are discussing that tomorrow in a team-meeting. will let you know.

2 Likes

hi @joebuhlig,

sorry - i forgot to tell you earlier: i couldnt bet through with my proposal of paying you guys for fixing the bug. so we would wait for you and your team to find time to fix it.

we are looking forward to seeing the bug fixed.

best, etienne

Hi @joebuhlig and others who use this plugin – Is anyone else having issues with this plugin as of the 2.3.0 version of discourse? When our host updated us to 2.3.0 a couple of weeks ago, our daily emails stopped being emailed. And also when I visit a user’s email preferences screen, the checkbox for this email option refuses to be saved. You can click it and Save but then when you reload, it’s unchecked. Just curious if anyone has found a way to fix these issues. Thanks so much if anyone has any insight!

1 Like

hi leah, check my earlier post from jan 29 and check if your problem might also be related to the entry in user_custom_fields? greetings, etienne

1 Like

I have a few updates & I’d love to hear from anyone else using this plugin as to how it’s working for you these days. We have hundreds of people subscribed to the daily emails so we’re hopeful to get this plugin working again.

@etienne, thx for sharing your findings with the true/false t/f. We had someone look into this and he said it looked like the code could handle that ok. So for our situation, I’m still confused as to why some users are getting no daily emails and some users are getting the daily emails only every few days. We definitely have new topics and new posts every day so this email should go out every day.

Our wordpress dev (who’s not really a discourse / ruby expert, per se, just someone who was willing to look at the issue) did manage to solve the front end JS error that was causing a problem with the checkbox not being saved.

Another thing that I’m wondering about from anyone who is using this plugin is this – Do you suspect that there are any issues with this plugin crashing and locking tables in a problematic way? We have another mysterious problem with our forum and one theory is that this plugin might causing it due to locked tables that are not getting unlocked but we haven’t figured that out for sure yet.

Hey there,

I have.updated my discourse to 2.4.0 beta2. Since then this plugin is broken.

For now my error code in Sidekick is

Jobs::HandledExceptionWrapper: Wrapped NoMethodError: undefined method apply_notification_styles’ for #UserNotifications:0x00007f1437382668`

I hope this plugin will be fixed soon.

We’re seeing this too.

Probably because we are unifying all the email styling to make emails more theme-able courtesy of @neil.

I just rebuilt, so this is with the latest v2.4.2.beta2 Discourse:

We disabled the mlm-daily plugin and emptied the retries queue yesterday. We’re still seeing errors in /logs and retries are still piling up in Sidekiq:

Jobs::HandledExceptionWrapper: Wrapped NoMethodError: undefined method apply_notification_styles’ for #UserNotifications:0x00007f6f971b9168`

Looks like this affects all notifications, not just the daily summaries. Is there a workaround we can implement until the email styling overhaul is done?

Thanks,
Gunnar

This is due to a third party plugin you are using. You will need to either get that plugin updated or disable it.

We see this in our installation (2.4.0 beta4) as well. Is there anything I need to update to get that fixed?

Additionally, when users try to enable the Mailing List Mode in their own settings, this is saved (at least the UI tells so), but when reopening the settings dialogue, the checkbox is unchecked again. Thus, we cannot get this plugin to send the daily summary mails anymore. I am not sure, if this has anything to do with the Jobs::HandledExceptionWrapper message mentioned above, but I guess not.

Anyhting I could do to fix this?

Dirk

Someone needs to update the plugin to solve the problem. You can read the plugin developer #howto topics or post in #marketplace if you have a budget.

3 Likes

hi @joebuhlig.

are you still willing to work on this plugin, update it for the upcoming discourse-version 2.4 and fix the bug described earlier on a paid basis? if you tell us a price (you named 200$ for fixing the bug earlier this year), we would discuss it in our team.

thanks for letting us know.
etienne

Preface:

This is not really an update to the Plugin but rather a hotfix. It does not really patch the plugin to work with the new system but rather integrates parts that were removed into the Plugin. It is not future proof. And it certainly won’t fix that the discourse team has deamed daily summarys an unessesairy edge case rather than an important part to keep users who prefer E-Mail in the loop. Discourse can not really be used as a Mailing list replacement anymore and if you can move you should. It also won’t fix the “we don’t need a documentation or propper release notes” thing< /rant>

That being said. We use this in Production and it seems to work. It’s not good but whatever

How to Get mails flowing again

1. Iplement @lkramer s fix
    Restore Mailing List Mode Daily Summary - #52 by lkramer

now you can actually toggle the UI Button again

1. Readd the method apply_notification_styles
    in engine.rp add the Following at line 11 (first method in the class)
 def apply_notification_styles(email)
                   email.html_part.body = Email::Styles.new(email.html_part.body.to_s).tap do |styles|
                   styles.format_basic
                   styles.format_html
                   end.to_html
                   email

Note that the originalt function (See the commit that broke everything to read along) used styles.format_notification instead of styles.format_html since _notification was removed we are simply using _html. Is this a good idea? No. Does it work? Seems so. Hey at least we have a slight chance it won’t get removed with the next update

1. Snake oil

I also wrhapped the whole mailing_list.html.erb in a Div tag with the class summary-email and disabled theming for summary E-Mails in the settings. This was just a desprate try at first and did not yield any results. You will most likely be fine without it but I won’t touch this mess again unless it breaks again. So if you face formating problems reel free to try this

Hope this helps

1 Like