Retort - a reaction-style plugin for Discourse

@gdpelican I would appreciate your comment :slight_smile:

1 Like

Translator browser plugins or something cause an issue where users can react with an “emoji” that is not on the approved list:

link to live site: THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread - Not Thrive - Thrive Community Forum
I think I have the latest version of retort.

1 Like

Sorry for the late question :slight_smile:
Where will this text be inserted?
common.scss?

On discourse_theme I got only empty files for new theme, not the sourcecode from forum.
If I download my theme I got 576 bytes file with the color palette I think .json.

I search now for two days, but use wrong words I think.

I want to change the background

.post-retort
{
    background: #d9d9d9 !important;
}

Or I must set all values for float, padding … ?

You don’t have to change any file. Just go to Discourse settings - Customize - and in the template you activated there is a button to add custom CSS directly in the UI.

3 Likes

Only that piece :slight_smile: is enough.
that is to simple :rofl:

Thanks a lot, i will try .

2 Likes

I found a problem when using S3 stored assets and a CDN. Custom emojis don’t load correctly. Instead of using the CDN URL they incorrectly directly point to the S3 storage bucket. Custom emoji don't use CDN for S3 stored assets in a few pages

2 Likes

Does anyone know how to change the color of the number that accounts for the total number of reactions? I feel that mine is too light.
Also bonus question is it possible to decrease the gaps in between the reactions?

1 Like

Nevermind I found code that can change it:

span.post-retort__count {
  color: black;
}

2 Likes

Is it possible to prevent users from adding reactions in a closed topic?

3 Likes

One way would be to archive the topic. It will still be there for all to see, but no one can do anything to it. I don’t believe the plugin can either.

I think if we can Adding premium emojis would be great.

3 Likes

Our “reaction” button doesn’t work, after the latest update.

https://github.com/gdpelican/retort/issues/70

I can’t find any issues in the Console, while clicking the emoji d-icon. With limited knowledge about how it’s implemented, I can’t spot the bug. Hopefully someone are :smiley: … (I’ve tried to look through the repo, but didn’t catch anything - with my limited knowledge about building plugins for Discourse (!))

3 Likes

same problem. My website cannot click

2 Likes

I can confirm that this bug indeed exists. Nothing happens after clicking it.

2 Likes

I can also confirm. When I click on icon for reactions to set it, it won’t pop up, nothing happens…

2 Likes

Adding #plugin:broken-plugin here for the time being. Let me know once fixed

2 Likes

Have anyone found out what the issue might be? Nothing have changed in the codebase of the plugin for quite a while, so I would guess something in the discourse codebase changed that makes this happen (haven’t seen any obvious changes which I would think have any effect on it though…).

1 Like

There are multiple updates of Discourse that need addressing in this plugin.

I’ve made a PR that can serve as a temporary fix. I’ll probably be condemned to fiery pits of Tartarus for the way the fix works, but it could serve as a stop gap @gdpelican

https://github.com/gdpelican/retort/pull/71

@Jite You seem keen. Would you like to learn a bit more about Discourse development and the way this plugin works to help maintain it? I can help you learn the ins and outs of the Discourse codebase.

8 Likes

I would have loved to take you up on that offer, but as of right now, I have a bit too much stuff on my hands to do so. I’ve made a few smaller plugins already, but my ruby experience is so tiny that I haven’t had the ability to dig down into the internals too much yet, hehe.
I will stick around though, so if I find more time for it, I will gladly let you know! :slight_smile:

I will take a peak at the fix too, as the instance I use the plugin on really seems to like it :smiley:

4 Likes

Also, I really wonder how I didn’t find that merge in the logs, I read them like a book yesterday! That was bad of me ;D

3 Likes