Retort - a reaction-style plugin for Discourse

I don’t know if this was proposed before, but in addition to the reaction emoji’s you might want to specify the alt-label that shows when hovering over the emoji, to better clarify its intent. This because emoji’s can still be interpreted rather randomly, or outright wrongly, based on how they are used in other places.

With labels I might specify:

:thinking: → This inspires me

:blush: → Glad to be of service

:heart: → I adore this idea

:blue_heart: → I am warming to this idea

:-1: → I vote against this idea

:poop: → This is off-topic

4 Likes

This one interests me… :laughing:

2 Likes

I have one user who would receive a lot of this :poop: on their posts.
:slightly_smiling_face:

Since a week or so, the emoji picker is acting up and scrolls to the top of the page and I couldn’t find an existing bug report of this behaviour.

Example over on the Manjaro forum:

As there seem to be multiple people having this problem opening a new bug report.

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Are you able to reproduce this issue in safe mode? https://forum.manjaro.org/safe-mode

Is your browser up to date? Are you running any plugins/extensions?

4 Likes
  1. Able to reproduce in firefox --safemode
  2. firefox --version
    Mozilla Firefox 85.0

3. NoScript and uBlock Origin plug-ins running when not running in Firefox safe mode

:thinking:

1 Like

Sorry, I meant in Discourse’s safe mode - which is available here: https://forum.manjaro.org/safe-mode

1 Like

Oh sorry, missed the Discourse safe mode.

• If I disable all plug-ins there is no way of using the emojis.
  • If I disable the theme, yes, it’s happening as well.

cc @gdpelican this has been moved here from the main support channel.

Has anyone else mentioned this already?

1 Like

I don’t know if you noticed :point_up_2: because it was moved here from another support channel…

:scream:

3 Likes

Hey @Fabby :slight_smile: I’m currently maintaining the plugin for James.

I’ve added Retort to the plugins you can submit a bug report for here: Bug Report. If you submit one there I’ll automatically get assigned to it and resolve it relatively quickly (within a week most likely).

I’ve made a bug report for this one, and after a bit of work (this one was actually a little tricky!), I think I’ve resolved it. If you could update and let me know how you go in the bug topic.

8 Likes

I’ll be notifying my Moderators / Admins as I’m just a TL4 over on Manjaro.org and:

:bowing_man: :+1: :beers:

4 Likes

Hey guys, please check out the shiny new Discourse Reactions. I’ll keep maintaining this plugin as-is for some time, but please make the transition to that plugin when you can. If there are features Retort has that Reactions doesn’t, please raise them in that topic and we’ll see about working that out.

13 Likes

Is or will there be any way to move existing Retort reactions to the new Discourse Reactions plugin?

I don’t want to lose the history of Retort reactions, but we also would not want both plugins running at once… and it does seem the new one is superior (will be more supported and more readily shows who reacted)

6 Likes

This is an interesting problem.

@Ahmed_Gagan can you add to your list building a rake task for migrating retort to discourse reactions, bottom of your list though after all the other stuff you have going.

9 Likes

Sure, ill take a look

7 Likes

Just a heads up that I started and mostly completed a migration script earlier today.

@Ahmed_Gagan I’ll run it by you when it’s done if that works.

13 Likes

Sure, that would help alot😊

6 Likes

Unfortunately, the official plugin cannot be a full replacement. It’s missing the ability to post multiple reactions!

This is a major loss to the utility of reactions. For this reason, I sure hope Retort will be maintained for now. I wish I had the capacity to do it myself, but all I can do is invite anyone else who could do it to consider making a fork of the official plugin that uses the updated code and UI improvements but adapts them to multiple-reactions (perhaps call it “multi-reaction”).

For now, Retort works. I’m disappointed that the new plugin didn’t embrace the multiple-reactions approach from the beginning.

4 Likes

I’ve installed the 2 plugins at the same time (retort and reactions), as I plan to use the first for “reactions” really, and the second one for some kind of “rating” of posts. Seems to work fine. We’ll see after a bit more testing.

I sure also hope retort stays maintained !

1 Like

so the options are limit to 1 or unlimited? is it possible to set a specific limit, i.e. 3?

could a specific trust level be required to have more emojis available to them than a smaller default set of emojis for new users?

1 Like