Retort - a reaction-style plugin for Discourse

Members at Maker Forums definitely appreciate the ability to have multiple emoji reactions. We would be very sad to lose that in a migration if retort were to become unmaintained.

3 Likes

Retort will continue to be maintained by Pavilion.

@Ahmed_Gagan Any thoughts on the below?

5 Likes

For a retort reaction at priority you can use

SiteSetting.post_undo_action_window_mins =max allowed minutes

ReactionManager.new(first_retort_reaction_at_priority, by_user, Guardian.new(by_user), post).toggle!

This will handle everything, it will remove like if the user have already liked the post and add a reaction.

1 Like

Yup, I could do that. It would be a bit of a hack though :wink:

Iā€™m not sure I could assume that workaround would remain viable over time. Itā€™s also a bit risky. For example, if I just run that code the userā€™s post_undo_action_window_mins site setting would remained changed. You could change it back at the end of the migration, but doing setting changes like this on the fly to get around a guardian is not ideal.

Ideally what Iā€™m after here is a slight change to the ReactionManager interface to make it possible to reliably migrate retorts to reactions. Currently itā€™s only set up to handle requests from the client.

One way to do that would be to

• abstract the guardian in toggle! to an ensure_can_toggle method
  • make the ensure_can_toggle method subject to a force option

This is the approach typically taken to handle migrations or backend imports in other parts of Discourse (if you do a search in app/ or lib/ for force youā€™ll see a few examples).

Does that make sense?

2 Likes

I think we donā€™t need to use the setting here, As we are not touching the likes which are already created on the post. this means we are creating new reactions to post. in this case guardian.can_delete_reaction_user? will always be true. Just using ReactionManager.toggle will be enough for this purpose IMO.

1 Like

Discourse does a lot with Likes such as limiting number of Likes by trust level and giving people badges based on Likes.

Does adding a reaction also add to the Likes count for both users and topics?

1 Like

You coud ask separately about how this interacts with the new official Discourse Reactions - Beyond Likes plugin

But Retort (which allows multiple reactions per post per user, unlike the Discourse Reactions plugin) does not interact at all with the Likes-related trust levels and badges.

5 Likes

@gdpelican this is a repost from Reaction emoji seem to have no verification as it seems the reaction is not part of discourse I repost it here:

I think I have discovered a bug but I donā€™t have a proper reproduction, but I can easily show examples of the issue, and I think my theory might be right.

Here is the issue, you are able to add non existent emoji to the post reactions. it results in :whateverYouWant: reactions in posts.

You can see example of it on the Manjaro forum, where I noticed a specific user posts often have these non existent emojis. After asking him a few questions I concluded heā€™s using some kind of automatic translation extension in his browser, and that probably translates the emojis :code: to his language. Unfortunately I didnā€™t have a reply from this user to know exactly his setup on his browser. To back my theory, you can see when he quoted someone in the following thread linked, he had translation of the original message in his quote.

See this message/thread on Manjaro forum:

See an example in the reactions, you see the issue clearly with all the proper reactions next to the invalid one:

So it seems that a user can send non existent emojis through the process of no verification of the emoji code.

1 Like

Did anyone also run into this situation that the reactions misplaced on a small screen and on mobile?

1 Like

Iā€™ve updated this plugin to work with the latest discourse code.

@th21 Iā€™ve also updated the retort HTML structure to better accomodate long retort lists, particularly on mobile

7 Likes

Thank you, it works!

2 Likes

Retorts on Mobile are messed up for me in the latest update

screenshot-vapingcommunity.co.uk-2021.07.23-16_40_15

1 Like

I think the retorts container should be above or below the toolbar, preferably above, this gives us a lot more room to work with CSS wise

2 Likes

Is it possible to use data explorer or console to find the most used emoji list? :thinking:I was looking into plugin_store_rows table but found nothing helpful.

3 Likes

Hi, the tooltip with which users reacted with retorts is now broken on mobile. I tried messing around with z-index but was unable to successfully fix it with custom CSS. Any chance anyone could take a look?

This plugin is #end-of-life. Please use the Reactions Plugin.

5 Likes

Discourse Reactions is a poor substitute for one key reason: it limits reactions to one per post. Thatā€™s a dramatic reduction in the utility of reactions compared to Retort which allows people to give multiple reactions to the same post.

I really wish Retort would be maintained for this reason. The better solution would be for Discourse Reactions to be updated to allow multiple reactions.

5 Likes

The other big deficit is that retort allows you to select from all available emojis while you have to define a set of emojis for discourse reactions. If discourse reactions had both of these features I would gladly drop retort, but until it does my users will not be happy if I tell them theyā€™re losing access to 95% of emoji reactions.

2 Likes

There is a #feature topic which shows some promiseā€¦

3 Likes

Yes, if this is all implemented I think I could easily convince my user base to migrate. It just kinda sucks to retire the alternative before this is fully available.

3 Likes