Rich Text Editor Plugin

Hey there @Rohail_Altaf, this will be a large and challenging job. I may be interested, however I have a few questions first.

Will you be using this editor from day one of your community? Have you already used the markdown editor? Will you want to also use the markdown editor alongside this? Will you possibly want to use the markdown editor in the future?

Could you elaborate on this a bit. How about:

1. Interactive elements outside the composer that insert content into the composer (e.g. highlight and quote).
  2. @mentions.
  3. Emojis.
  4. Inserting dates and times.
  5. Right to left support.
  6. Onebox support (or equivalent “rich link” support).
  7. Tables.

If you could enumerate your exact list of expected features that would help, as it will likely influence the way this is built and hence the cost and timeline etc.

Are you expecting the plugin to implement a library like Quill or be functionally similar to Quill? Or are you just using that as an example of what you consider to be a well executed WYSIWYG editor?

To answer your questions.

I’m probably the most experienced Discourse plugin developer. I’ve developed about 40 plugins over the course of roughly eight years working with Discourse. Here are some highlights:

This will depend on your answers.

3 Likes