WYSIWYG Editor Plugin

This is work in progress, please give me some thought. :smile: :muscle:

25 Likes

Intriguing! Are you planning to eventually open source your work?

2 Likes

I would love to do so.

2 Likes

Awesome. Please update us here when you do. I’m very curious to find out what libraries you’re building this on top of. I always thought Prosemirror would be a good foundation for WYSIWYG in Discourse, since it is also using @vitaly’s excellent markdown-it library.

Also, are you doing this as a personal project (i.e. for the fun and challenge of it, and scratching an itch) or is this work being sponsored in some way? I ask because within the Meta community there’s huge interest in rich editing, so there are a couple different avenues we could explore to support this work.

6 Likes

This is kind of personal project, I am in the middle of converting my own forum into discourse, but Markdown would be big obstacle for my users, that’s why I have been doing this (on spare time).
This editor intents to be compatible with Discourse, I am challenging with quotes and Markdown, so far so good. :muscle:

8 Likes

Hi folks, should we allow editing text inside quote? it is currently allowed to do so.

I do this regularly. Sometimes to fix a typo, sometimes to add emphasis. Sometimes to add ellipses when removing parts of the quote for brevity.

So, it’s nice to have. But I don’t think it’s must have if you’re looking for ways to cut scope and get an initial release out sooner.

5 Likes

Alright, have that done. I am making way to insert text before and after quote blocks.

If you want more feedback, we can set you up with a public demo instance on Digital Ocean. There’s going to be a whole bunch of people around here eager to try it out. You can send me a PM about it.

7 Likes

This is what would happen when quoting more while the cursor (of the editor) is inside another quote.

8 Likes

Things done recently:

• Copying / pasting rich text.
  • Quote editing.
  • Adding/Removing link.
  • Rich text to markdown conversion to save to the database.

11 Likes

any updates to this?

1 Like

I know there have been discussions, I still think a WYSIWYG editor would make it easier for the nontechies.

Did you run out of steam? Or why are there no updates lately? I checked the video and it looked pretty good.

I am afraid that here there is an enormous chasm between “pretty good” and “good enough”. There are lots and lots of edge cases that make this such a hard problem, our editor is super rich.

Overall, we find that many non-tech communities get used to the current editor and almost never complain about it.

6 Likes

Hello,
I support a WYSIWYG Editor for future versions of Discourse Forum.
This would make editing much easier and the screen size could be better used.

4 Likes

Any word on what happened here? The video demonstrates a working, excellent feature. The repo is here: https://github.com/quangbuule/Discourse-BEditor

4 Likes

I’d also happily turn wysiwyg mode ON for both our non-technical community and project management community. Turning it on in the latter would allow us to bring the client’s team on board and let them contribute to discussions in there.

I am working on a wysiwg editor plugin at the moment. Please read about the details in this thread:

you can also write test posts on

although this link might change/break later ( its my personal dev instance until my site is launched).

It works already quite well, but certain discourse additions to markdown are still only visible in the preview until I switch over to html only posts. But I recon thats okay for beginners as they wont use these features anyway.

2 Likes