Roadmap for styling email digest

Continuing the discussion from Styling email digest:
Hey,
In a more general way, I would really appreciate any roadmap for email styling. Since html emails don’t support css there isn’t any option to style them.
My first priority is supporting RTL, as discussed here: https://meta.discourse.org/t/css-customisation-for-rtl/10614/2

As a lower priority I would like to be able to add arbitrary customisations, CSS and JS.

Thanks.

1 Like

Oh, but there is. Inline. But you probably mean you need a way to implement that CSS into the mail.

1 Like

Yes, basically. Or, a way to customise it in a more conservative way, like with specific site setting.
As I said, I mostly interested in RTL support for emails.

Are you a dev, do you want to experiment with this in a branch. There is plenty of tooling out there that “inlinifies” css which we could leverage.

Yhea, I am.
Just with limited time and knowledge in Ruby…
I plan to start experiment with this in the next couple of days/weeks.
Do yo think that the list build here can be a baseline to start a discussion about it? (one of the items is email styling)

I think “applying CSS styling to Email” is a much narrower feature than full blown RTL support. I think you can just discuss here, before coding, outline your plan so we can make sure it looks sane.

At a top level I would simply add support for an “email.css” (containing default styling) that can be overridden. The tricky thing is taking the css file and applying it inline, but there are a few gems that do this which you could leverage.

OK, sounds like a plan, thanks.

I suppose for some folks it goes without saying, but be super careful when working on CSS for e-mail. Someone mentioned only inline CSS is supported, but technically that’s only true in Gmail’s web client; other clients have “better” support.

Different clients also vary widely on what CSS style elements they support.

Here are some good resources for someone not familiar with the dealing with e-mail styling:

1. http://www.campaignmonitor.com/css/
  2. Tips & Resources Archives – Litmus Software, Inc.
2 Likes