Rules for inviting people to topics?

In some topics it’s not possible to invite another user to the conversation. This happens when it’s in a category that is not open to everyone, which might make some sense in the case of something like a Regulars Lounge category. However, if a category is just not visible to anonymous users (but even a TL0 can Create / Reply / See in it), that already prevents inviting other users to the topic.

I think the logic being applied is to prevent someone from sharing a link / invite by email (which makes sense) but is also preventing inviting existing users by their username.

So instead of:

One gets:

Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 17.59.04

3 Likes

Does this happen for all users?
Users with a TL0 or TL1 cannot invite others and won’t be shown the invite link. Only TL2 or above can send invites and get shown the invite button.

3 Likes

I reproduced this as staff and it seems to be dependent on the category permissions.

Edit to add: it also happens to TL3 and we use the default invite settings.

2 Likes

I can reproduce this on my local development site. Even as an admin user, when I set a category’s security permissions to Trust Level 0 can Create / Reply / See, the share dialog doesn’t give me an option to send an invite. I think that Discourse is trying to prevent invites being sent to topics that a user may not have permissions to access, but all users on the site will have TL0 status, so preventing invites from being sent doesn’t make sense for this case.

5 Likes

Aha! possibly an easy bugfix to be scheduled next week @eviltrout?

2 Likes

Was this ever handled?

2 Likes

Just giving it a quick run-through and it still seems to be the same behaviour where the invites will only be possible for normal users from open categories (ie. a Trust_Level_0 catgeory will suppress the invite option).

I think this feels like a feature request, so I’ll slide it over. :+1:

2 Likes