Search not displaying on mobile

Hi, I have installed the plugin and connected with Algolia and everything is working fine on desktop
But on mobile the search input does not show, I can see it in devtools and can get it to show with extra css but the functionality does not work

I would also like to be able to place the search input somewhere else on the page is this possible?
Thanks

2 Likes

Iā€™ve made some enquiries, and currently the Algolia search option is desktop-only.

However, it should now be possible to use the normal search as an alternative on mobile when algolia-search is enabled on your site. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks @JammyDodger I have looked into this and couldnā€™t see any reason why algolia shouldnā€™t work on mobile. Alogolia was being hidden by css so I added new custom css for it in common.scss and with a bit of tweaking to the drop down display have it working on mobile too.

Going to the effort of having algolia as the search engine itā€™s a bit odd to find that it doesnā€™t work on mobile.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s good news. :slight_smile: Let me check if I garbled my question and see if this is something we can tweak for everyone. :+1:

@Andrew_Dickens Iā€™ve just checked back, and if youā€™re interested weā€™d love it if you could add your changes as a PR to the plugin so everyone could benefit. :slight_smile: :+1:

2 Likes

Noteā€¦ on desktop you can still reach ā€œadvanced searchā€ in Discourse which captures a few use cases missing from algolia (like user search and faceted search).

If it is amended so we ship with a mobile friendly CSS and outlet for algolia we need to ensure you still can reach the advanced Discourse search.

1 Like