Allow users to see trust level 3 progress on user profile

I think we should be able to see this on our user profile. It’s nice to see what more we have to do.

10 Likes

Hmm this reminds me @neil we probably need absolute minimums on posts read and topics viewed, otherwise a Discourse with only, say, 20 total topics would make TL3 awfully easy to get.

Maybe set TL3 absolute minimums at 200 total topics, and 500 total posts? As in “site must have this much content to even support anyone getting to TL3?” don’t even bother processing any TL3 events at all until the site has at least that much content.

4 Likes

The defaults kind of depend on the type of site one is running. I know of at least one Discourse install (not my own) where those default values would probably never be reached.

One thing I liked about OSQA (when it was being maintained) was a “bootstrap mode” that dropped all the values for things like this down to a smaller (still sane) level while the site was new. Then admins could be bugged to disable that mode and go back to the “real defaults”.

1 Like

Funny, we used to have that at StackExchange as well. But… wouldn’t default trust level 1 just cover the same ground? Turn it back to 0 when done.

2 Likes

It is very, very unlikely you would need TL3 user help (e.g. re-categorizing and re-titling of topics) with such a small site. I think the thresholds are fine. With a site that small, the admin alone could mod it all with ease.

2 Likes

I’ll add minimums for total topics and posts viewed, with site settings. Not sure about showing the requirements on a user profile though. It could encourage people to make low quality posts just to achieve the trust level.

4 Likes

Is the min total topics and total posts for TL3 configurable from admin panel?

Yes, all the TL3 variables are in site settings, and this one will be too.

1 Like

What about showing the progress bar towards TL3 Instead of full summary?

3 Likes

For now i only see the requirements for LT2 in admin cp. am i looking at the wrong place?

I really like @downey’s suggestion and I think @codinghorror misses the point because…:

It’s not just about the help, is it. I assume they’re called trust levels for a reason. You want to show those early adopters in your community that you trust them to be your civil discourse champions. You’ll both need and want to acknowledge these people a long time before you hit critical mass.

2 Likes

This – especially if you’re adding Discourse to an established community rather than starting one new with the platform.

It’s been really frustrating to me having so many new users (but long-time community members) confused about why they can’t do some very simple things because Discourse treats them like outsiders.

1 Like

If the community is new, then inevitably some people will be treated like unknown new users. That should be temporary.

2 Likes

When migrating existing members from old to a new Discourse, is there not some way to take their post count, length of membership, “awards”, “demerits” or other criteria into account and start them off at a higher TL?

1 Like

Our community is 10 years old, but there’s no way to recognize their social status and longevity in a default installation of Discourse as they start signing in. As a result, many people who have been around years have felt frustrated with the defaults that prevent certain behaviors until they’ve “been around” a while.

(Manually increasing their trust levels seems to be the only way to override this pain, but that doesn’t necessarily scale when you have a large community and you’re trying to encourage them to start using Discourse.)

1 Like

I’m missing how seeing the “progress” would help here. I really think this this should be done when the accounts get imported.

But I get the feeling you’re past that point. Any way to do it retro?

I have yet to find any way to import a list of accounts, either in GitHub documentation or in the HOWTOs here … let alone automatically set trust level when that happens.

It’d be helpful if possible.

For now, we’re stuck waiting for people to sign in via SSO which initially creates their accounts.

Maybe @santouras or @HAWK can give some guidance as to what’s involved.

AFAIK, invites are disabled when using SSO. :frowning:

If you are confident about the validations on the SSO side you could make trust level 1 the default. You could also turn down the thresholds for TL1, if you like.