Send Promotion PMs

Is interesting to contrast these suggestions with the copy we ended up with @hawk and @erlend_sh. I do think we need a trust level blog post to refer people to rather than a meta topic as far as trust level descriptions and goals.

5 Likes

Yeah agreed. I can take that next week if no one else wants to.

3 Likes

Agreed that transition from TL1 to TL2 is probably not a big deal, but crossing the boundary between TL2 and TL3 is significant. Also because it goes in both directions.

So with regard to that, hereā€™s an idea: wouldnā€™t it be useful if TL3 users were notified when they are about to be demoted to TL2? Iā€™d imagine that this kind of notification could trigger quite some engagement whereas realizing that you lost TL3 after the fact may well have the opposite effect.

(If this is considered off topic, feel free to move it into a new topic)

2 Likes

Thanks for adding this! Just noticed I was getting replies from happy users who had ranked up. Excited to see if it keeps them engaged.

6 Likes

Can the TL1 message be customized?

Also, are invited users (getting TL1 directly as they join) also receiving this message, or only those who step from TL0 to TL1?

Thank you very much for this feature. I also think it is very useful.

Every text in Discourse can be customized in Admin > Customize > Text Content.

1 Like

I had checked /admin/customize/site_texts but there I only see four strings:

• system_messages.usage_tips.text_body_template
  • education.new-topic
  • education.new-reply
  • login_required.welcome_message

Not normal?

There are many different text strings, so the ones you see are just the default for the page. You will need to search for the title or the content you wish to change in order to see the files.

The texts you are looking for all include the title string:

welcome_tl1_user

Only the users who move from TL0 to TL1. Invited users already get a separate welcome message so there is no need to duplicate

That message can be customised searching for:

welcome_invite

6 Likes

Diffrence between tl1 and tl2 isnt too much. However tl3 is a great deal. Specially if we have more strict rules than the defaults. A private message to tl3 users would be so much appriciated.

3 Likes

I just achieved tl3 on the Discourse forum for our open source project today.

It included a bullet list of new capabilities. But the template lacked instruction of where these new capabilities can be found.

You can now ā€¦

• Edit the title of any topic
  • Change the category of any topic
  • Have all your links followed (automatic nofollow is removed)
  • Access a private Lounge category only visible to users at trust level 3 and higher
  • Hide spam with a single flag

Is there a comprehensive list of rights granted at each Trust Level that is hyper-linked to the Discourse documentation for each right? (Like the 2018 Trust Levels document but with hyperlinks for each bulleted feature.)

We could use that as a reference for updating our templates.

Any progress on this? Iā€™ve promoted some users on our forum, from tl1 to tl2 but still, there is no email sent or an automatic PM at all for tl2, tl3, or tl4. The only thing theyā€™ve received is the badge notification.

There are definitely automatic promotion PMs that are sent out when users reach TL2 and TL3. Not sure why they wouldnā€™t be working for you, but we donā€™t have any customers reporting issues with the feature at the moment.

Or perhaps youā€™re saying that manual promotion doesnā€™t result in the PMs being sent?

1 Like

Yes, on manual promotion they get no PMā€™s at all, and I have both options checked:

and

PS: It would be great to have automatic PMā€™s for all trust levels, not just 1 and 2.

There is also an automatic PM for TL3. I guess it canā€™t be disabled, since there is no site setting for it. This is the trust level that traditionally grants access to the lounge category, etc.

Itā€™s in the customizable text as lounge_welcome.body and lounge_welcome.title but thatā€™s a pretty terrible name as this really has nothing to do with the lounge category (which may or may not exist) ā€“ itā€™s about being promoted to TL3.

Congratulations! :confetti_ball:

If you can see this topic, you were recently promoted to **regular** (trust level 3).

You can now …

* Edit the title of any topic
* Change the category of any topic
* Have all your links followed ([automatic nofollow](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow) is removed)
* Access a private Lounge category only visible to users at trust level 3 and higher
* Hide spam with a single flag

Here's the [current list of fellow regulars](%{base_path}/badges/3/regular). Be sure to say hi.

Thanks for being an important part of this community!

(For more information on trust levels, [see this topic][trust]. Please note that only members who continue to meet the requirements over time will remain regulars.)

[trust]: https://blog.discourse.org/2018/06/understanding-discourse-trust-levels/
2 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome. But unfortunately, as I said they cannot be sent on manual promotions ( or maybe is just on my side? )

Users are still receiving multiple spammed TL1 and TL2 promotion notifications when these settings are disabled (or enabled, either way). Anyone have any ideas why?

1 Like

From another post, apparently the lounge was removed from new installs of Discourse from fall of 2022. No issues with that, but I do not see where to modify the message that users receive when they reach TL3? Itā€™s no longer whatā€™s laid out in this post. Any advice, thanks folks!

1 Like

You can customize pretty much any language via admin /customize/text

Use the search field to find the existing text strings, it searches both string names and their contents.

1 Like

Thanks Stephen!

I completely understand that. Iā€™ve edited several emails and text strings already. My issue is, I cannot find where to edit the TL3 promotions message. Iā€™m starting to think, there isnā€™t oneā€¦ I looked at some of my TL3 users and never see that they received a message. Only that they obtained a badge.

Am I missing something? It seems there should be a PM for every promotion.

1 Like

I donā€™t think there is one. I think the About section of the Lounge used to go into the details if I remember rightly?