Set 'Watching First Post' for certain categories, for entire Community

Hey all!

Wondering if you have a solution for us. Ideally, we would like users of our Community to automatically be notified (via email, and in community notifications) of new posts in the following categories:

So two questions:

1. We don’t want them to receive emails for every new comment, just every new topic. Is there a way to set that for all users in our Community? Will adding these to ‘Default Categories Tracking’ do the trick?

2. Is there a way we can override the current settings for users? Our Community is a little over a month old, and we’re wishing we set this from the beginning. They can opt-out if they wish, but it’s important that they see notifications for new topics in these categories.

1 Like

aha, when we added “watch first post” we missed adding the default site setting.

7 Likes

Ahhh, okay!

Any idea when we can get this added? Also, would this actually send out an email as I’m hoping it would?

Thanks guys!

+1 on this: it’s key to running a mixed used case where we want to run one or more categories in a mailing list format, and others in a conventional 2-way discussion mode.

Thanks,

David

1 Like

Yessss, exactly! This is basically what we’re trying to do.

Sure @techapj can this be on your list?

3 Likes

Okay, done via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/9e69798285078e017501973872f1bf1c2beddd9b

Sure, I can run a query for your instance which will change this setting for all the existing users. You can PM me the details.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.