Setting: min trust to wiki-fy post

I would like to allow my users to have access to the wiki feature, so that a user can turn their own posts into wiki topics.
There is already a setting for “min trust to edit wiki post”.
I am suggesting a that a new setting be added: “min trust to wiki-fy post”.

5 Likes

maybe, it can get very dangerous if you allow too many people to wikify things. I really think this is at most a TL4 function.

4 Likes

My Discourse is a closed community with SSO auth.
We know exactly who everyone is, we trust them, and we moderate everything closely.
I’d prefer not to bump all users up to TL4, since that negates the whole TL system.
But the wiki feature could really be useful for specific kinds of topics, like meeting minutes where anyone on the meeting can go back and update the minutes afterwards.

As an aside, it seems to me that instead of calling it a wiki functionality the category security settings should include an ‘edit’ permission on top of the current ‘create / reply / see’. This would offer a more streamlined and flexible way of building category based permissions for different use cases.

Not sure if this is implied, but perhaps it’d be safe enough for @sam’s taste if it was still only allowed to wikify your own posts?

4 Likes

Yeah happy for tl3 to be allowed to wikify own posts.

2 Likes

Sure that’s a nice TL3 perk why not.

9 Likes

I agree, it will be a great if users could wikify their own posts.

3 Likes

Having a setting for the TL at which users can wikify their own posts would let admins determine the level of “wikiness” of a forum. If it would be set to 0, then it would feel very much like an open wiki. If it was set to higher levels, it would feel more like a regular forum with wiki privileges you can earn for yourself.

I really want this feature. It would make external wikis pretty much obsolete!

4 Likes

I would also love to see this feature. Also on a closed internal Discourse instance with trusted users.

1 Like

Then why wouldn’t you set the default trust level for all users to, say, TL4?

We did that for a while and then some users were tinkering with the other powers granted by that, by default, and we changed it back to a lower trust level. More specifically, my supervisor was doing stuff she didn’t understand, pissing off people on the forum. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was under the impression that TL3 allowed users to self-wikify as per sam and jeff’s posts from August, but it appears that it’s still a TL4 perk only. (PS: Is there a canonical list of the permissions per level somewhere?)

I’d like to let my trusted members make their own wiki articles instead of begging admin to do it for them all the time. I can see why wikifying other people’s posts is a TL4 power, but I don’t see how it’s dangerous for your own?

2 Likes

Sure that seems reasonable, @techapj can you add to your list, allow tl3 users to wikify their own posts – but not other people’s?

TL4 ability remains the same, wikify anything.

3 Likes

If making this change I would simply add

“trust_level_to_allow_self_wiki”, cause in some internal setups or various sites people may be fine to allow TL1 or 2 to wikify own stuff, there is really not too much risk in allowing that.

5 Likes

Okay, I sent a PR for this feature:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/3953

15 Likes