Setting Minimum Username Length for New Users

“Minimum username length (in characters). Warning: If any existing user or group names are shorter than this value, your site may not function properly!”

Hello everyone,

I want to set the minimum username length for new registrations to 4 characters, while ensuring that existing usernames are not affected. How can I achieve this in Discourse?

Thank you for your help!

If you have any users with usernames shorter than that you’ll need to make them at least 4 characters. If your usernames are longer than that you don’t have anything to worry about.

My goal is to distinguish between old and new users. I would like old users to have usernames with fewer than 4 characters, while new users should not have usernames shorter than 4 characters. In other words, I want to set the minimum username length for new user registrations to 4, while ensuring that existing users can retain usernames with a minimum length of 3.Could anyone please advise me on how to achieve this? Thank you for your help!

Then create a group called “old users”, add all of the users to it, and add flair so that everyone can see who’s old. Or, if you don’t want everyone to know, then adjust the group settings accordingly.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Thank you.It is an alternative solution, but I want to provide some actual honors or rights to old users through their usernames or other means.

1 Like