Shared drafts only for staff?

Continuing the discussion from Shared Drafts: Allow staff to collaborate on posts before publishing:

Just a question for clarification:

This almost sounds like the feature also works for non-staff users, as long as they have access to the category. But I sssume it’s limited to staff, is it?

7 Likes

For now it is limited in a couple of places by code to staff members… however I did notice while building it that there is no specific reason why it has to work that way.

I think once people are comfortable with the feature, we can just change the “can create shared draft” check to be something along the lines of “can they write to the shared draft category”.

13 Likes

This is a great feature, and if it were extended to TL4, it would be great. After all, users with this level of trust are already full members. There can be many reasons why they will need such functionality.

4 Likes

Chiming to to request extending this to at least TL4.

Our community includes employees and customers. We don’t necessarily want all employees being community “staff” (Admin and Moderators), but would very much like them to be able to create shared drafts.

8 Likes

Given that the Category Group Moderation feature is available to arbitrary groups, it should be possible to extend the Shared Drafts feature to follow the same pattern, eventually enabling various groups to work on shared drafts in private categories and publish later. I can see a lot of good applications coming from this, e.g., in university research or journalism.

7 Likes

+1 to the university (or industry!) research use case - I’ve recently seen collaborative writing software used to great effect on papers.

3 Likes

Has this feature become available to non-staff users since then?

1 Like

If you search your admin settings you should see the option to enable by Trust Level.

[your_site]/admin/site_settings/category/all_results?filter=Shared

1 Like

I saw that. But this is not letting me configure a group whose members should get access. Configuring by level does not solve my problem, unfortunately.

1 Like

I think that’s done by restricting the category permissons of the category you select for the drafts.

1 Like

Could you elaborate?

I’m not sure of your specific aim, but if you create a dedicated category for the shared drafts, and limit that to a ‘Shared Draft’ group in the category security tab, then only that group can create a shared draft in there (other users who meet the trust level criteria you’ve set to be able to create shared drafts, but who aren’t in the ‘Shared Draft’ group, will have the button to create a shared draft, but will hit a ‘you don’t have permission to view this resource’ block when trying to create one).

2 Likes