Should error and message emails start with the same prefix?

Continuing the discussion from Clarification on site_domain_name and site_name:

Many error emails don’t seem to do so otherwise, and I want all my forum related email to go to one folder. (pending member request, etc)

I’m on the fence about the error emails… if they do contain [Watchman Community] then it’s clear where they came from. If they don’t have the same prefix, it may not be clear where the error email was sent from.

Should the email saying that a message bounced also start with the same [Site Title] as normal emails?

Shouldn’t your local mail routing rules be looking at the return email address and domain? That seems more logical to me, and will work regardless of the title.

Maybe, but this isn’t really about the emails I get from the forum, it’s about errors my users might get if their posts go wrong.

I’ve always made rules based on subject… but I’m looking for what the consensus would do, if asked.

Oh, I see. @techapj can you make sure the email reply error titles include the site name, respecting the layout string?

2 Likes

I just fixed the inbound email on my hosted forum. I tested and a failed email comes FROM a different address than normal forum emails.

in our case, good message emails come from mail+[key]@domain but failures come from support@domain. That in and of themselves is enough to make it clear the email is from the forum.

The underlying question is - should - failure emails be setup to get swept into the same actions as normal emails? If they should remain in someone’s inbox, then no change is really needed.

If they should be routed along with the rest of the forum email, then having the reply titles respect the subject rules would be a good change.

I’ve thought about this a lot.

The resolve is the these error emails should not follow current filters (should not be prefixed with the email_prefix. (We don’t want them filtered away, since the emails didn’t work.)

Emails such as Email rejects already come from a different address, and [probably] don’t have the message header such as list:"category.site-fqdn"

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/tests-passed/config/locales/server.en.yml#L1612-L1613

A better plan might be to call attention to the email with a subject line prefix like [Notice] or [Action Required]

Fixed via

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/3321

2 Likes