Show an image but link to something else?

(BDub) #1

I’m looking for a way to show an image, but link to something different like a video.

I can’t seem to make this work with typical BB forum code, markdown or HTML.

Reason for this might be something that’s not supported in one box, or maybe I just want to take more control over what is displayed and linked to… for instance just making the image much smaller or different.

EDIT: aww snap, I got it… nested markdown
[![](image_url)](target_url)

(Jeff Atwood) #2

This is also supported through the UI. In the editor…

1. Click/tap image upload icon

2. Click/tap “from the web”

3. Click/tap “show more”

4. Enter URL for image. Enter URL for link.

Done:

(BDub) #3

Oh nice! In the 1000’s of posts I’ve made on discourse I’ve never used that uploader more than a couple times. The automagic One Box thing has always just worked for me so I never bothered to upload. Most of the images I include are fast screenshots that I annotate and automatically upload to imgur.com, which I just paste the link in the post thereafter.

(Michael Brown) #4

Did you know that if you have an image in your clipboard you can just paste it into the editor? Yeah, an image, not a link to an image.

We’re in the future, man.

(BDub) #5

That’s way cool too. One thing I like about imgur.com is I upload to my own account, so all of my images are saved online whenever I need them. Regardless of where it comes from, I know discourse always makes a copy of it to keep forever (preventing broken image links in the future). :heart: :heart: :heart_eyes_cat: :love_hotel: :love_letter: :hearts: :blue_heart: :purple_heart: :green_heart: :heartpulse: :heart_decoration: :yellow_heart: :four_leaf_clover: