Show "new topic" when not logged in

I’ve got an issue with getting plenty of page views, but not a lot of posts on my forum forum.cleanenergyreviews.info. I’ve done a bit of user testing, and seems that there is some confusion about how to actually post something when they first arrive at the site. Is there a way to show the “New Topic” button when users are logged out, which would direct them to log in? I know I can do that with a URL, and I have done that now in the Nav, but curious as to why you do no show the “New Topic” button for logged out users also? I’m assuming there’s a good reason.

4 Likes

We already have a Reply button visible to not logged in users and even a Like triggers the display of the pop up to subscribe to the site.
We have also a reminder that will appear to every returning user via the site setting enable signup cta

That said, you will find several topics about it that explain why we do not show the button to non-registered users and also several ways (as you have already discovered) to get around the obstacle.

1 Like

@dax I’m sorry that I’m not clear about the last part of your reply. Are you suggesting there is a way to display the " + New Topic " button for viewers who are not logged in? If so, how?

I’m in the same boat as @MartyMeh. I want viewers to instantly see the " + New Topic " button and be able to click it, and have them redirected to the login page, and function exactly as the " Reply " button does. Is it possible?

Hi @jord8on, it seems not. I worked around by creating a link in the header. In my case I called it “Ask a question”.

The easiest way is to create a new button on the header, next to the icon or the logo. See

You can use a simple link as https://yoursite.com/new-topic? so that user logged in can open a new topic from every page of your site, users who are not logged in who click on the button will be sent back to the login page and after the login back again to the composer.

4 Likes

I really appreciated this suggestion, @dax – went with Custom header links (icons) to solve this problem (though we also currently use Custom Header Links for global nav).

When you’re logged in, it opens up an editing panel directing to our default category (customized uncategorized category).

Logged out view, clicking on the raised hands directs to login and looks like this:

When a logged in or out user rolls over it:

Jury’s still out on whether the raised hand glyph was a good choice, gonna let heat mapping tell us. It’s not getting clicked much so far – but search clicks have jumped up.

Thanks, again.