Show "silenced" as avatar flair for silenced users

(Not sure if this should be posted in #ux or #feature, feel free to move it if it’s in the wrong place).

Currently there is no easy way for staff to see if a user is silenced, without going to the user in the admin page.
Unlike a suspension, which is shown on the user’s regular profile page/profile card when clicking on a username.

In my opinion something like this:

would be a nice addition (at least for staff members, maybe hide it for non-staff members(?)) to check if a user is silenced. Or, like the current Suspended message that appears when opening the User Card of that user, display it somewhere in the user card.

Personally I don’t see any reason why this wouldn’t be a good feature, but I’m sure there’s probably reasons why this could be an unwanted feature. In which case: I’d like to know what the downsides are :slight_smile:

The main reason for this is some users get auto-silenced by the System user for typing too fast, if another staff member “rejects” that post that’s “awaiting approval” then the user gets permanently silenced without it being obvious in regular topics. So if someone replied, and later got silenced. At first sight you wouldn’t know they’re silenced and you probably get confused why the person isn’t replying if you ask them something.

21 Likes

I can’t edit this post anymore, so a reply will have to do. Any updates on this suggestion/request? Or will it not be implemented?

2 Likes

Take a look at #plugin:staff-notes
I think it will do what you’re asking though instead of a flair it has an image icon

1 Like

Yeah we already have that, but some users were silenced before that plugin was added. So it won’t show up in there. It doesn’t necessarily need to be a flair, a message similar to the ‘this user is suspended’ message on their profile page / user card would also be helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

3 Likes

This is already present…

1 Like

…Really? It doesn’t show on their profile page. Only in the admin user page? I just tested it and it doesn’t show anything on their user profile if you silence someone. Only suspensions will show a message.

4 Likes

Oh my bad I misread that as suspension. You’re right. Nothing is shown for a silenced user at the moment.

5 Likes

This is nice hope there is someone that can make a plugin or if this can be implemented

2 Likes

Hi,

Are there any plans to get “Silenced” status visible on user profile? As an admin I’m able to see it on the administration tab for each user, but our silenced users complain they can’t see it anywhere, not only the reason but also the date the silenced status returns to normal. The only thing they apparently get is an email stating they are temporarily disabled to post, but no reason whatsoever.

It would be a very nice addition.

As for avatar flair, it would also be nice, and optional to show just to staff or to every logged in user.

7 Likes

I’d like to resurface this - having a public indicator of the silenced status would be useful.

For now, we can work around it by assigning them to a ‘silenced’ group and adding an avatar flair.

6 Likes

I made a basic implementation that can help, for admins at least.

4 Likes