Skipped Email - User does not exist

I have an issue whereby whenever I try to send a e-mail to a specific user, the message is automatically skipped, with the reason “550 User does not exist”, despite the links redirecting me to the profile of the user.

I suspect that this is linked with the e-mail address of the user, as temporarily changing it did not result in any unexpected behavior.

I have also tried deleting and recreating the account, leading to the same result (550 user does not exist)

How can I resolve this?

Kind regards

If you’re getting an error 550 from the mail server of the user, then either their account was deleted or incorrectly entered.

How was their email address verified? Were they part of an import from another system, or did they register and verify themselves?

3 Likes

I am getting an 550 error from Discourse, not the mail server.

Their e-mail was entered and verified using this guide to create the user. The e-mail wasn’t working since account creation.

Kind regards

1 Like

Can you show us a screenshot of the error, rather than telling us about it?

2 Likes

Here you go:

I’ve blacked out all usernames and e-mails that are not important to this case.

Green = e-mail address of the user whose e-mails are skipped

The second to last row has no username because I’ve actually deleted and then recreated the user as I said in my first email.

Kind regards

550 is indeed an SMTP error code which (usually) means that the recipient email address does not exist on the server anymore.

You can verify this by sending an email to that email address.

4 Likes

Thanks for the hint! I’ll let you know if the e-mail actually was invalid and if this was the solution to my problem once I’ve validated everything.

EDIT: @zogstrip thanks a lot for your advice, that did the trick! :slight_smile:

Kind regards

1 Like