Slow Data Explorer queries

I created some Data Explorer queries.

If I execute them in the admin backend, the GUI shows me a very quick execution time for the DB query itself, e.g. “Query completed in 7.9 ms.”

The network log of my browser shows that e.g. https://example.com/admin/plugins/explorer/queries/1/run was accessed and that it took a 1-2 magnitudes longer to get the result, e.g. 150ms.

When I curl such a query it takes even longer, about twice the time compared to running the query in the admin panel.

How can I have Data Explorer queries that I can retrieve fast without that much overhead?

1 Like

From the information you provided, I’d say that those are simple queries (fast to execute in the RDBMS), that return many rows (slow to de/serialize in the backend and transfer).

If the current performance is blocking your use case, there are many different solutions you can explore:

• Lowering row counts per page, so each page is faster.

• Building a plugin that exposes the same information in a new API endpoint and is smarter about caching and data format.

• Querying the underlying database directly.

3 Likes

We have magical lookups for certain column names (user_id, post_id, etc) alias them to something else like post_id1 etc…

1 Like

Thanks guys!

It is the same if I have just one single row as result of a query. E.g. a query that returns a single integer, ran in the Data Explorer panel in the admin backend it takes 9 ms, ran from the outside against the Data Explorer API via curl it takes 200 ms.

I would very much like to avoid that, I use Data Explorer because it was suggested on these forums as a nice way to get information from the DB and a well working API for that.

My query uses them for JOINs but not in the result set. The SELECT only has one column and that is a newly calculated one with a arbitrary name.

What does NGINX say the server time is for the request, could this be a network issue?

Assuming that those are the floating point numbers 3 places right of the HTTP status code (e.g. ... 200 642 "-" **0.107 0.108** "system" ..., highlighted with stars by me) they are about 10 times the duration of the query time reported in the backend and pretty much exactly half the time it takes to curl from my client.