[SOLVED] Uploaded backup doesn't appear in list

My local Discourse and the live instance I’ve backed up are running the same version (1.9.0.beta17).

I upload a backup from the live installation to my local Discourse (which is a Vagrant development version), but the upload doesn’t appear in the list of backups, meaning I can’t restore the backup.

I was advised elsewhere on the forum that I should put a local installation in place, restore the live backup, add users using the Ning import script, then backup the changed local version and restore it to the live server.

If I can’t see the backup file (Discourse tells me the file was uploaded successfully) then it seems I’m stuck.

Anyone might have some idea where I could be going wrong? Thanks!

I’ve occasionally seen a short delay, but not 3 hours. Can you confirm that the file is on the server, by default in /var/discourse/shared/standalone/backups/default/?

1 Like

I found a temp folder in that folder, and it contained a folder named for the uploaded tar.gz backup, and about 14 chunks of split file with sequential names, a few meg in size each. Despite waiting a while and restarting the container several times, I wasn’t able to get the upload to restore.

Sounds like something went wrong with the upload process. I’d suggest trying the upload again, or manually transferring it to the server via scp or similar.

3 Likes

Is sidekiq running? When you upload a backup, we send it chunk by chunk and they have to be re-assembled on the server once they all have been uploaded. That is done in a background job in sidekiq.

2 Likes

Well, we have a winner! Sidekiq is not, in fact, running. I was able to work around it by manually copying the backup file to the correct folder, and the backup restored successfully, so thanks to everyone for your help!

5 Likes