[SOLVED] Uploaded backup doesn't appear in list

(Frank Bailey) #1

My local Discourse and the live instance I’ve backed up are running the same version (1.9.0.beta17).

I upload a backup from the live installation to my local Discourse (which is a Vagrant development version), but the upload doesn’t appear in the list of backups, meaning I can’t restore the backup.

I was advised elsewhere on the forum that I should put a local installation in place, restore the live backup, add users using the Ning import script, then backup the changed local version and restore it to the live server.

If I can’t see the backup file (Discourse tells me the file was uploaded successfully) then it seems I’m stuck.

Anyone might have some idea where I could be going wrong? Thanks!

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #2

I’ve occasionally seen a short delay, but not 3 hours. Can you confirm that the file is on the server, by default in /var/discourse/shared/standalone/backups/default/?

(Frank Bailey) #3

I found a temp folder in that folder, and it contained a folder named for the uploaded tar.gz backup, and about 14 chunks of split file with sequential names, a few meg in size each. Despite waiting a while and restarting the container several times, I wasn’t able to get the upload to restore.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

Sounds like something went wrong with the upload process. I’d suggest trying the upload again, or manually transferring it to the server via scp or similar.

(Régis Hanol) #5

Is sidekiq running? When you upload a backup, we send it chunk by chunk and they have to be re-assembled on the server once they all have been uploaded. That is done in a background job in sidekiq.

(Frank Bailey) #6

Well, we have a winner! Sidekiq is not, in fact, running. I was able to work around it by manually copying the backup file to the correct folder, and the backup restored successfully, so thanks to everyone for your help!

(Régis Hanol) #7