Some strings can't be translated

Hi,

I use the french translation of Discourse and I found some strings that I can’t translate in the customize part of the admin panel.

Primary email” when you try to register an account with a blacklisted email domain.

of” when you click on one image in a post with multiple big images to see it in full screen.

translation-of

to” and the entire list of periodicity in the insert date menu.

The display of the month is in English in the message sent for the new user of the month.

3 Likes

I also want to point out that you can’t change the format of a selected date in Advanced search and the Insert date menu (It’s not readable for a french).

insert-date-format

3 Likes

How is YYYY-MM-DD not readable for a :fr:?

I know we mostly use DD-MM-YYYY, but I find YYYY-MM-DD easy enough to read (I actually prefer that format, but that’s just because I’m a geek).

The to was made translatable by @eviltrout in

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/34b871a86c2ddff9ffd0205095a2018c336923b9

2 Likes

Sorry, I mispoke. :sweat_smile: It’s readable but it can be confusing because we don’t use this format. For example:

March 9, 2019 = 2019-03-09

A french may wonder which of these numbers is the month and which is the day. I’m pretty sure my grandmother can’t read that kind of format.

I blame the :us: for coming up and using the butchered MM/DD/YYYY format.

4 Likes

Was it really the US? I would expect we inherited it from the UK like imperial units.

2 Likes

US/UK, is there a difference? :wink:

EDIT: looks like you’re right. The UK did invent that format but they regained their sanity in the 20th Century thanks to the :eu:.

4 Likes

I added the missing translations for the lightbox in https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/7e8579b8aaf551c2b9fa5eb2044017284c6270cc.

The “Insert date” dialog should already be fully translatable.

This was fixed in New user of the month: wrong month, not localized - #5 by gerhard.

Regarding the "YYYY-MM-DD` date format: As far as I can see our datepicker always uses that format. Changing that behavior so that it shows a localized date while making sure that nothing breaks will take a little bit more time. I’ll take another look at this at a later time.

5 Likes