Spam Filter / Whitelist suggestions

We’re a cloud subscriber, and about to go live. I wanted to send some warning to all of our new, incoming users on suggestions for preventing discourse.org emails getting stuck in their spam filters.

Does anyone have a list/block of IPs that you would suggest that need to be added to people’s whitelist? I’m assuming everything comes from *@discourse.org, but also noticed some mailservers are using discourse.com?

Thanks!

I don’t have any special filtering for Discourse, but an examination of the headers shows the mail comes from *.discourse.org hosts (eg mx-out-04a.sjc1.discourse.org) with from addresses at discoursemail.com

3 Likes

Thanks for that… but would you happen to know what range of IPs that the cloud version of Discourse may be using? That would definitely help.

For instance, I received an email, headers indicating: mx-out-04b.sjc1.discourse.org (64.71.168.241). Is that it, or is there a block of redundant mailservers that Discourse uses that we can make sure make it on our whitelists?

All e-mail will have an envelope sender domain of discoursemail.com, and the SPF record for discoursemail.com is our authoritative list of sender addresses.

We also sign with DKIM and have a DMARC record published with rejection specified if checks fail, so whitelisting discoursemail.com ought to be sufficient.

5 Likes