Spread out Digest emails to mitigate sudden traffic?

(Jesse Perry) #1

I notice that Digests are sent in batches together to a lot of users at once. I’m curious if it would be possible to have those spread out more so that you’re not causing a big sudden spike of traffic from the Digests being sent. I notice from my MailChimp stats from campaigns that go out, people seem to open/click emails by a huge margin in those first few hours after an email goes out, if they’re going to at all. So spreading out the Digest emails in Discourse could help. I have over-provisioned with the DigitalOcean droplet I have, so it’s not a big deal for me - but might be helpful for those that are just on the edges of hardware for their Discourse.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

We should add some random variation to when we send these out. But it seems unlikely you would have perf problems from even a few hundred people clicking through. And people don’t always read their email at the same time.

(Jesse Perry) #3

Most email opens happen soon after a campaign is sent: http://www.quora.com/On-average-how-soon-is-an-email-opened-by-the-recipient-after-it-is-sent

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #4

Related - Digests fire very quickly in a slow forum