Stripe Donations Plugin

@ChrisBeach looking to fork discourse-paid-pinning or discourse-donations to start a membership plugin around a similar paradigm / borrow your check out & and rewards controller. Should we borrow a combo of the two, since discourse-donations is closer to what we’re building but discourse-paid-pinning is newer, tests are passing, and perhaps some things improved?

Has one else out there has done a membership plugin along your lines, where?:

• Users can get to a basic site, whereupon they can then

• Access important groups / categories is behind a paywall.

We’re currently using Memberful, but don’t like their SSO approach that disables site invites, hides membership status from within Discourse, and is expensive. We’d like to take and extend what discourse-donations does to:

• Have the rewards access expire after a period

• Message users to renew, then

• Remove user from the reward group after membership expires.

3 Likes

Hi @kimardenmiller,

Please do fork the paid pinning plugin if possible as it’s more up to date. Its tests are passing… because it barely has any :grimacing: However, I’ve been using it successfully on my sites for a while now.

Bear in mind the following note, which I received from Stripe and have not yet actioned:

3 Likes

Thanks @ChrisBeach!

Our org is all in the San Francisco Bay Area, so no EU / Brexit issues here :wink: .

We’ll start with paid-pinning and pull over the rewards logic, which fits our membership application fairly closely. Went looking in AdvertiseController for similar to rewards, but got confused with requires_plugin 'discourse-plugin-stripe'. Is that code outside paid-pinning? Where does discourse-plugin-stripe live?

3 Likes

[sorry for taking ages to respond. Recently became a parent and my former life has disintegrated!]

That’s a good question about discourse-plugin-stripe. This name is from a previous incarnation of the code, and the line it appears on is probably dead code. I am a rookie Discourse / Ruby developer and achieved this plugin via a lot of trial and error.

Apologies for the code quality and I would definitely appreciate PRs or comments from more experienced developers.

7 Likes

Thanks @ChrisBeach. We’ll see where things go with it once we get started on this project early this fall.

3 Likes

I have been working on a simpler fork of discourse-donations here: https://github.com/rimian/discourse-patrons

It has a simple payment page for one-off donations with an admin interface. I am adding support for subscriptions etc, targets, etc.

Many thanks to @ChrisBeach and @angus nice work!

8 Likes

We decided to go in the direction of extending Procourse Memberships.

2 Likes

Thanks for putting the work into this. My community found this very useful and preferred donating directly on the site as opposed to leaving it. I was disappointed when I had to remove the plugin. Donations came to a screeching halt too. I’m happy to donate to you for working on this!

4 Likes

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have been away :slight_smile:

I’d gladly accept donations! That would be very kind. I guess you could DM and I’ll give you my paypal.

3 Likes

Hi, I installed the donations plugin, but see it can’t be configured to accept one off donations in New Zealand Dollars (where nearly all my forum users reside) - how do I add NZD to the currencies list?

I see a note suggesting currency is changeable with subscription plan settings - but users are not looking to set up a subscription plan - only make donations. A recurring donation option would be good to offer - but because it is purely a donation I would not want to impose an amount.

Hi Paul,

I added NZD to the default currencies on discourse-subscriptions. I hope to add more currencies in the future.

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Cheers Rimian! Will give it a try

Sorry to wade in here… this is a long thread, and it’s not clear to me:

I’m looking for a plugin that I can install on Hosted Discourse to accept donations via Strip (one-time payments with no connected membership, access, groups, etc – just a way to pay me money) … there seem to be multiple plugins mentioend in this thread… ??

You should contact Discourse team through the email mentioned in your dashboard. You’ll probably have to get on their enterprise tier to get such a plugin installed.

1 Like