Suppress category from latest topics gone

Supress category from latest topics feature allowed Discourse to be used as CMS system without spoiling the forum part. For example, we have a category which has about 200 topics and they are visible to moderators only. Topics are published on the main website. We don’t see these topics as part of the forum because they have no interaction (no replies - they are basically wiki pages). Now, when I go and edit 10 topics in this category, they all show in my Latest feed among regular forum topics.

The category is set to Muted yet I see those topics in the latest feed. Why?

11 Likes

Muted defines the “default” state, but as an end user you can override it and start watching the topics or tracking them.

A trick after editing if you need to set state on a bunch just for you is to use the bulk actions on the topic list.

4 Likes

I agree. It’s a very good setting for sites that have other content then “engagement items”, i.e. stuff that is for information purposes only and doesn’t need to go with any flow.

5 Likes

I also need suppress category from latest. I move topics that are irrelevant to my forum to a category named miscellaneous and I don’t want anyone to see them in latest list.

4 Likes

That is exactly what default mute is for @hosna

4 Likes

no this is not enough . Because I still see topics that I visited. The purpose of sending topics to miscellaneous is to reduce distraction in the main page. even for those that previously saw the topic.

5 Likes

Then if you really want to super duper silence stuff why not toggle them as “Unlisted”?

4 Likes

for each topic? that is a burden on moderation.
of course now I do that. However I was very happy before that I didnt need to do that :smiley:

4 Likes

Hello,
We used «Suppress category from latest topics» features as filter of messages from Classified section from Main discussion (it’s filter, not muted)!

I’ve just update my Beta Discourse to restore Vimeo embedding and oops… we got tons of unwanted Classified in main discussion.

And «Muted» section is not good solutions for our user! As I know our users subscribed to notification about new Classified.

It’s a pain. Really.

4 Likes

It’s definitely a shame the feature went away. I predicted the upheaval it would create and externally I’m already seeing it. One site which has used this feature heavily for the past ~four or five years has just asked me to quote for a plug-in to restore the behavior.

There’s a gap between the old behavior and new, it’s a niche which site owners have definitely found to be useful. Unfortunately it seems these use cases fall outside the original intention for the feature, hence the replacement.

18 Likes

Will it be available? Looks like only solution for me

3 Likes

Like some of the other people who commented here, I set up our Discourse site to do task tracking / bug reports in addition to regular forum discussion. Our Tasks category effectively works as a separate content type, with a separate workflow (using the Tickets and Assign plugins) and a separate user interface (using the Kanban Board theme component). It took me a long time to get this set up the way I wanted, so it was a bit disappointing when my tasks were back to being mixed in with the regular forum content after our latest Discourse update.

This also makes it harder for our staff to follow the regular forum discussion, as their Latest pages get filled up with our task management topics.

8 Likes

Ditto for our forum, although for “reimbursement requests” related to a game. You don’t need or want to see requests from other users, because they can overwhelm conversation and they’re irrelevant to you. You need to be able to file requests or review previous requests.

I can train the reimbursement staff to find the category, but I don’t want to train the entire user base or have a global message with a link to that area on every page.

Worse yet, I can’t find a way to make anything in this category visible via overall forum settings or editing the category or subcategory settings. Maybe I’m blind.

3 Likes

Hello,

I “hided” a category with the old feature, how can I unhide it since the update ?

1 Like

If the category is still hidden for you, can you check to see if the category is in your muted category list? Unmuting the category should solve the problem.

5 Likes

But not for all users, if I am not mistaken?

1 Like

If you update the default_categories_muted site setting the it will make the change to all users.

8 Likes

So it looks like there will be no comeback of such a great features?

1 Like

Hi, please help me to figure out how to use Mute features in my configuration.

We have following structure of forum:

1. Stereo-tour
  2. Stereo-news
  3. Music
  4. Our systems
  5. Analog sources
  6. Digital sources
  7. Amplifies
  8. Loudspeakers
  9. Cables
  10. Personal Audio
  11. PRIVATE CLASSIFFIED (hidden with Suppress features)
  12. Private classified/Analog sources
  13. Private classified/Digital sources
  14. Private classified/Amplifies
  15. Private classified/Speakers
  16. Private classified/Cables
  17. Private classified/Misc
  18. MARKET for makers and professional sellers (hidden with Suppress features)

So main section are 1-10 always visible in the latest and sections 11-18 are hidden from main flow. BUT there are links to it in the header. So users must visit Private Classifed and MARKET by themselves.

We had strong user voice (call it hate) after disabling hidden with Suppress features features. All the private classifieds and market classifieds mixed with main content on the latest page. Ugrrhh!

So I muted following sections and it’s gone from latest!
11. PRIVATE CLASSIFFIED (hidden with Suppress features)
12. Private classified/Analog sources
13. Private classified/Digital sources
14. Private classified/Amplifies
15. Private classified/Speakers
16. Private classified/Cables
17. Private classified/Misc
18. MARKET for makers and professional sellers (hidden with Suppress features)

BUT when customers come to main PRIVATE CLASSIFFIED page all items from subsection are hidden. Looks like almost all classifieds are gone. Yaek!

Please how to configure Mute that all classified are visible in main Classified page.

1 Like

This sounds like an edge case to me. A complicated one.

Basically what you seem to be asking is for a new rule:

• If you visit a muted category then display all the muted subcategories.

I am slowly thinking this all boils down to “How strong do you want mute category to be” user pref:

When a category is muted : suppress from latest topics | suppress everywhere

Then an end user can opt to “how strong a mute” actually is. We may even add an in-between kind of thing. suppress from latest topics and categories

@codinghorror what are your thoughts here. I am thinking restoring previous functionality is only possible if we allow end users to choose “how atomic” mutes are.

The upside of this entire system is that end users are in control here. If someone wants to see Private classified/Digital sources in latest they can, previously this was impossible.

13 Likes