Tag editing permissions

Hi all,

I’m trying to achieve something that I’ve yet to find a way to accomplish, and I’m not sure if I’m just missing the answer or if it doesn’t exist.

What I’d like is to adjust the permissions required for tag editing — as in, changing the actual names of existing tags — so that users with TL4 can have that capability.

As far as I can tell, that function is limited only to admins by default.

Does anyone know if there’s any way to make this happen?

Many thanks!

1 Like

Hiya! :wave:

Would you mind explaining a bit about your requirement? For instance, is this for frequent updates to the names of tags, or is it a one-time operation that you need a non-admin to accomplish? :slight_smile:

Hey, @maiki! Thanks for the quick response.

The former. The site has a handful of TL4-level superusers, of sorts, and one thing we’ve discussed is how typical users often create overlapping tags with slightly different names (e.g. “chromeos” and “chrome-os” — or “customization,” “customizing,” and “customization-ideas”). And that, of course, leads to a bit of organizational chaos, where topics that should be related end up in separate tags instead.

It would be overkill and a needless security softening to turn all these TL4 users into full-fledged admins, but it would be very helpful for them to be able to assist with this more moderator-like task and have the ability to hop in and correct this sort of thing when it comes up and they see it — by either changing the name of an ill-created tag or perhaps just deleting the tag entirely (after reassigning the post to a more appropriate alternative) — as opposed to having to constantly ask an admin to take care of that for them.

Really appreciate the thoughtful consideration!

1 Like

Ah, I see. :slight_smile:

I don’t know of a way to allow TL4 to edit tags. But I do know of a setting that would allow your staff rely more on TL4: min trust to create tag

Screenshot 2022-05-02 at 18-45-03 Admin - Sandbox Discourse Kit

If you set that to TL4, it means that group can decide amongst themselves which tag should be created; that doesn’t fix the problem of existing overlapping tags, but it may alleviate the issue moving forward.

2 Likes

Ah — interesting. We can certainly make that work and then just make a point to create new tags proactively as needed so they’re available for everyone else to use.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

So only admins can create synonyms?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.