Tagging not working with latest update

This might turn into a bug report, but I am open to the possibility of user error:

I have just updated to the latest version of Discourse, v1.9.0.beta9 +20. I have the following plugins:

I added a new topic, and when I tried to tag the topic, I had the following behavior:

1. Any tag I typed in that is already in use on the site had a ‘no results found’
  2. These existing tags would not stay in the tag field
  3. Any new tags I made up would stay in the tag field, but not save when I clicked “save post”

So, I’m not sure if something changed that I’m unaware of, but currently my Discourse doesn’t seem to allow tagging of posts.

To add some flavor to my previous post, we have a ‘faq’ tag:

We do not have a gobbledygook tag:

I can add the gobbledygook tag and not the faq tag by pressing enter at the end of typing the string:

Once I click the checkbox, the topic does not get tagged, even with ‘gobbledygook’

^^ No tags.

Can you repro this @jomaxro?

1 Like

I’ve updated to v1.9.0.beta10 +5 and disabled and re-enabled the tagging system and still having this issue.

Can you give us more info about how you setup tags? Did you define any “staff tags” in Admin > Settings > Tags? Have you restricted some tags to only be allowed in some categories?

We have one staff tag. I’ve tried to take a screenshot of all our tag settings

Since there hasn’t been a lot of other chatter around tagging, it looks like this is specific to my Discourse instance. Any ideas on things I can try to get tagging to work again? I have attempted to rebuild the app but I’m stilling seeing the behavior described above. I don’t see anything relevant in the logs.

Do you happen to still have the discourse-tagging plugin installed?

1 Like

I took a screenshot of my installed plugins in the parent post. I double-checked just now, and it doesn’t look like I have that plugin installed, but maybe one of the other ones I do have installed is relevant?

Hmm. I wasn’t able to reproduce the problem. @jomaxro said he was going to try.

3 Likes

Apologies for not posting. I set up a Discourse instance with the exact plugins listed, also not able to repro this.

Just to double check, tagging enabled didn’t get accidentally unchecked in site settings, right?

1 Like

That is correct - the tags text box appears when I start a new topic or edit a topic headline. This isn’t true when I disable tagging.

I have just now been able to add the ‘updates’ tag to a topic:

1. I click the edit pencil
    Dropbox - Screenshot 2017-09-25 12.09.04.png - Simplify your life

2. I click on the “choose optional tags for this topic” text box and see the ‘updates’ tag as the only tag that appears
    Dropbox - Screenshot 2017-09-25 12.09.28.png - Simplify your life

3. If I click that tag, it is applied properly, but anything else I type into that box doesn’t show up as relayed earlier
    Dropbox - Screenshot 2017-09-25 12.10.18.png - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - Screenshot 2017-09-25 12.10.27.png - Simplify your life

This is a tricky one! I appreciate y’all looking into it.

UPDATE: Is there any way to manage topic tags? I don’t know enough about how tagging works but my spidey-sense tells me there is a tag that is in some way ‘corrupted’.

If you visit the tags page /tags you can apply bulk edits to existing tags like rename and delete. Is that what you’re looking for?

I haven’t looked into it much, but I’m wondering if “tag groups” or category “allowed tags” are involved here.

1 Like

Maybe! The fact that only one tag seems to ‘work’ right now just seems off, because I know my users love haphazardly tagging things.

The set of tags lives here:

There are a ton of tags, here is a sample:

The tags AJAX endpoint only bringing back ‘updates’ when there are this many tags? Something seems up there…

Is it expected behavior that if there is a tag for a specific category, then no other tags may be applied to that category? Because if so I think @Mittineague nailed it.

UPDATE Yeah jeesh that took me a long time to find that. Ok thank you everyone, I am officially the worst :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Whoo!!! Glad you figured that out. Thanks @Mittineague! Closing this as not a bug.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.