Tags against wrong topic

tagging

(Dean Taylor) #1

I remember creating this topic with some tags:

This is my topic

It’s now displaying like this (note no tags):

Then later looking at this topic I noticed my tags on it - which don’t match the topic

Which is displaying with my tags from the other topic

Not receiving notifications for edited Wiki posts unless you are the author
(Jeff Atwood) #2

I removed the tags from that post – is rare that topics here need tags and then only at most one or maybe two tags that can be used on multiple topics without confusion. This topic is a good example of tagging, ironically…

But I too noticed a few other topics had the same combination of odd tags shown – I also removed that particular combo of tags from another topic not pictured above.

This is a legit bug @eviltrout.

(Dean Taylor) #3

I have users who will tag everything :allthethings:

Currently there is no other place to get an idea of how the tagging system might work and weed out possible problems.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Yes it is fine to test, but let’s please refrain from tagging things with ultra generic concepts like “button” or “post” or using three synonyms :wink:

(Dean Taylor) #5

I can’t see adding tagging to a community until tag merging / aliasing is added - a process that involves moderating once and no user conversations.

Basically something that turns my tagging for these example topics into a non-issue.

(Mittineague) #6

On our forum only the Admin can create Tags.

I think this is the safest way to ensure it doesn’t get out of control.

True, we have members that will select inappropriate and / or too many tags for their topics, but that isn’t as bad as it would be if they could create their own.

(cpradio) #7

And partially supported by Discourse’s Tagging process too. You can set which TL level can create tags, just set it to TL 4 (IIRC).

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #8

I would agree to @codinghorror, I wonder why would people add tags when the category name itself is self-describing. Multiple Tags never helped any way in SEO either, they are just for better user navigation and only when you use at most 1 or 2 tags. More than that makes no sense

(Sam Saffron) #9

Tagging should be TL2 and above here. At the bare minimum.

(Jeff Atwood) #10