Tags from parent not displaying in dropdown

I have a tag group that is not displaying the tags when the parent tag is present (third-party-lens)

I should be seeing these tags:

I have this working with other tag groups that go one level deeper than this, but for some reason, these refuse to display, any ideas?

2 Likes

I will dig if related to dropdown component or not.

2 Likes

Can you still reproduce this? I tried and canā€™t.

3 Likes

Yes itā€™s still happening, can you try going another level deep? This is four levels deep (for sale > lens > third party lens > fourth level that is not showing)

There is no concept of ā€œfour levels deepā€ in discourse. There is only category, subcategory, and then tags on either of those.

1 Like

Iā€™m not talking about categories, but tags. I have four levels deep of parent/child tags.

LOL, well, thereā€™s your problem. Why would you do that?

Youā€™re adding Tag 1, Tag 2 (requires Tag 1), and Tag 3 (requires Tag 2), and are expecting Tag 4 (requires Tag 3) to appear?

I wonder if itā€™s possible we can restrict this from happening (checking if a tag has a parent before allowing it to be a parent?), because I suspect this isnā€™t infinitely scalableā€¦ Tags were designed with only one parent level in mind.

2 Likes

Because it works very well for a classified categoryā€¦

Select tag ā€˜for-saleā€™ (other options are ā€˜wantedā€™, ā€˜tradeā€™) > which gives you more options to select what youā€™re selling, in our case camera body, camera lens, tripod, etc. > from there letā€™s say you select camera lens, then you have the option to select the lens brand, if itā€™s say a Nikon lens then thatā€™s where it ends, but you can also select ā€˜third party lensā€™ which has tags that apply to multiple lens brands like sigma, tokina, etc.

Correct. I suppose I can work around this, but yes if it doesnā€™t work beyond three levels then there should be a way to not allow this to happen.

Iā€™m not sure tag hierarchy is intended to work beyond two levels. Can you confirm @neil?

2 Likes

Sorry, my first tag is not a parent, so yes it seems to be limited to two levels. Some way of preventing more than two levels would be great for new users, now I have to redo a ton of tags in a new way because I had no way of knowing and was excited about the possibility of these levels of granularity. Thanks!

2 Likes

Correct, this was not intended to be used as an arbitrarily deep hierarchy. Interesting that you got it to work for 3 levels, but I donā€™t recommend it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 31 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.