TED videos preview shows just a thumbnail instead of the video itself like youtube

When embedding a tedtalk url, the preview side shows just a thumbnail. For sometime I thought tedtalks werent embedding until I actually posted and found it did embed well in the post. Some users too reported the same and did not go ahead with their embeds.

1 Like

Sure, the preview thumbnail in this case can be somewhat improved to communicate that there is a video in play.

Youtube does the same thing.

I wonder if we should simply allow people to play videos and so on in the preview area, @eviltrout do you remember why we originally opted out of allowing that?

3 Likes

The problem is that area is constantly refreshed as keys are typed. So when a video is inserted there it’ll be overwritten with every keystroke.

4 Likes

But can’t the virtual DOM take care of that these days?

I do not think the editor uses that?

It does not, but we could specifically use it for the HTML diffing if IFRAMES are there. So it could solve this problem quite nicely with zero impact on IFRAMEy previews.

I briefly looked into using vdom for the editor preview and it was a mess. Basically we spit out HTML from our markdown pipeline. That HTML would have to be parsed before it could be diffed against the dom, in other words every keystroke would have to parse all the HTML first!

I punted on it as we plan on moving to CommonMark, and I was hoping we could have marked emit vdom nodes instead of HTML. Then we could skip the parsing phase altogether.

7 Likes

currently TED videos are becoming one-boxed rather than embedded. is there any trick to embed them?

e.g.:

1 Like

I found here that this problem was fixed: TED.com in onebox is broken

But as I can see, it’s not working now.

Update:
Solved. Needed to add here: /admin/site_settings/category/all_results?filter=iframes
the following code:
https://embed.ted.com/

2 Likes