Telegram Notifications Plugin (discourse-telegram-notifications)

The appearance can be controlled by going to your admin panel, “customise”, “text”, then search for “telegram_notifications”. You should see things like this which you can edit:

https://github.com/davidtaylorhq/discourse-telegram-notifications/blob/master/config/locales/server.en.yml#L22-L32

Very happy to update the defaults if anyone has some suggestions. Either via a PR, or just share your edited versions in this topic and I can update them in the repo :slight_smile:

Hi @david,
Thanks for this.
I also tried to customize the text on the Admin → Customize → Text page:

/admin/customize/site_texts?q=discourse_telegram_notifications

However, it isn’t working from there. It would be great if it was working.

Do you get an error?

No, I can’t find any logs. It seems like there’s no error. it’s simply not formatting. I took out the <pre>for all the text coming from the site. I did this by visiting /admin/customize/site_texts?q=discourse_telegram_notifications and editing the text fields.

It seems like I might have to do the old school way and hardcode it.

Is there any way you’re aware of to change the font?
Our forum activities are not in English and the default font that is sent in Telegram looks bad. I dont know if its on the plugin end or the Telegram end.

1 Like

Hey @david, I created a pull request: https://github.com/davidtaylorhq/discourse-telegram-notifications/pull/17

Sounds great! Please can you share a screenshot of what the messages will look like in Telegram?

That was strange to me to find the Profile section.

Why not to move it to the notifications section?

1 Like

Hello! I receive multiple notifications on Telegram that are copies. One notification can be sent 2-5 times. In a standard user notifications interface, I see only 1 notification. Why may this situation happen?

Hey @david
I got the bot up and running and working great for some users.
However a user now tried to set it up but can’t get a ‘Chat ID’, and I can’t figure out the problem.
I’m trying to avoid deleting the bot altogether and redoing it, so other users won’t be affected…
Any help will be appreciated.
Here’s a screenshot by that user:

same error as above, can’t get a ‘Chat ID’

1 Like

more info, my logs:

Failed to send Telegram message. Message data= "{\"url\":\"https://site.net/telegram/hook/2bae74eecc11436c25d7324133c55d72\"}" response="{\"ok\":false,\"error_code\":404,\"description\":\"Not Found\"}"

Backtrace

/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-telegram-notifications/services/discourse_telegram_notifications/telegram-notifier.rb:46:in `doRequest'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-telegram-notifications/services/discourse_telegram_notifications/telegram-notifier.rb:24:in `setupWebhook'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-telegram-notifications/plugin.rb:251:in `execute'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:232:in `block (2 levels) in perform'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/rails_multisite-3.0.0/lib/rails_multisite/connection_management.rb:80:in `with_connection'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:221:in `block in perform'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:217:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:217:in `perform'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/sidekiq-6.2.1/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:196:in `execute_job'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/sidekiq-6.2.1/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:164:in `block (2 levels) in process'"

Hello.

We have Discourse with this plug-in. And the user profile has a custom field for Telegram chat id. I need to transfer the value of this field to the user profile page at our site. I’ve prepared a script at our server to process webhook requests from Discourse and configured a webhook for the user events. This webhook starts, but the data transferred to our server in the request have no “Telegram chat id” field and no value. Is this a feature of this plugin? Or can i do something other to get this value?

Is anyone able to get this to work recently? I tried it on two different hosts but it doesn’t seem to work. I don’t get a response from the bot to get chat ID just like others mentioned in the above chats. Also, I don’t see the chat ID field in profile preferences. I do however see the plugin settings where I enable the plugin and provide the bot token.

1 Like

Hello.

I have installed plug-in at the self-hosted Discourse. Our bot returns no messages when command like /start is given. We don’t now what to write to “Telegram chat ID” field of the user profile. I’ve checked access.log of nginx server in Discourse container, but i had no requests for the bot. What should we do to solve it?

1 Like

Is there a chance to use other bots do the same functionaliyu by seperate the bots token with “|” ?

so in case we have issue with the old bots; we can add anothr bot to join the new users and don’t effecting the old users ? this would be good idea for continues using of this plugin.

@david Is this telegram notification plugin working yet?

Hi @david, is there a fix planned for this plugin? I also do not receive a chat ID from the bot and there seems to be no logs listed.

Sorry for the disruption here! Should be fixed by

To get things working again, please update the plugin, then turn the plugin off and on again. (disable the telegram notifications enabled setting, and then re-enable)

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: 600% CPU usage?