The ideal GSoC applicant

Originally published at: The ideal GSoC applicant

This is our first year participating in Google Summer of Code. In short, if you’re a student with some Rails & Ember skills, you should check out our GSoC profile and consider applying for a chance to do paid work on Discourse under the mentorship of the core team this summer. We’ll be taking applications during 14.…

10 Likes

As a 10-year veteran of GSoC, I believe at least one pre-proposal code contribution (i.e., involvement with the project before applying) is the biggest predictor of student success. It’s not a guarantee, and it’s possible to be successful without it, but as mentioned in the blog post, it’s extremely valuable.

1. Mentors and org admins have some level of assurance that you are up for the challenge.
  2. They also see that you care enough about the project to learn a little bit about it and take on a bug. (Even if you’ve done a pull request and it doesn’t get merged!)

Many GSoC organizations require a contribution before the proposal, but even if they don’t, it’s always a good idea. :slight_smile:

Good luck to all students!

9 Likes

Can’t wait to sign up for GSoC come tomorrow 14th March, 2016. Thank you Discourse for being there…

2 Likes

I was wondering, in this stages

• 100% passion work
  • 95% passion work, 5% paid work (one-off paid gigs)
  • 80% passion work, 20% paid work (some regular freelance gigs)

How did you eat ? Did your leave with your parents o something ?
Sure I’m passionate for my job, but I’m with my feet on down to earth, too.

I guess he’s talking about doing Passion Work on your free time.

I have a full time job (8h a day + plus commute) and I try to help Discourse at night when I get home or on Weekends (between some Dota 2 games :wink: ).

My wife uses her free time doing charity work, I do open source, my friend study foreign languagues, etc. It’s all about following your passion :heart:.

9 Likes