The input field on some Discourse deployment is broken

The image below is a screenshot from a post I was writing on users.rust-lang.org.
As is pretty plain to see, the input field is just completely broken. And it’s not new, it’s been going on for quite a while.

Oddly enough, meta.discourse.org doesn’t seem to have that problem. So what could be causing the issue?

For some reason the restrictions prevent me from posting the actual image in OP. Which is pretty counterproductive I have to say.
How will you know what I mean if I can’t post a single image showing the problem?

Anyway, I’m allowed to do it here in a separate post, so here it is:

1 Like

Hi @jjpe :wave: welcome :slight_smile:

Can you provide more information about what device and OS that is please?

I cannot reproduce this. I was just on the Rust forum myself on both my iphone 15 pro iOS 18.0.1 and my Macbook MacOS 15.01 Sequoia and the composer is working as expected.

If it is only happening on that forum, I would think it is a theme component or plugin issue that your device / browser may not like. :woman_shrugging:t2: you could maybe give safe mode a try.

3 Likes

HI, thank you :slight_smile:

Sure, it’s an android Samsung phone. AFAIK they all run the same software, aside from drivers.
It’s important to note that I only have the issue with my phone. The problem does not appear on my other devices (laptop, desktop).

I’ll give that a try, but it wouldn’t be a solution if it resets the color scheme to white. Not a big fan of being blinded :slight_smile:

Ok so safe mode does seem to have nonzero effect.
However it’s difficult to gauge as the issue doesn’t occur 100% of the time. So the best thing for now I think is to use the site on safe mode for a while, and see if the issue pops up at all.

If it doesn’t then that’s a clear direction to look into: a component or plugin.