Three dots become garbage can

Today let’s talk about the UX of

20210222T151502

OK we click on the three dots to find out what it hides.

OK we saw what it hid. And now we click again to make it hide it again.

But surprise surprise, that spot has now become a garbage can (and some other stuff) and our second click is now aimed smack dab at a garbage can! Good thing we can still stop our hand in time.

Yes, maybe it isn’t as dangerous as it seems, but I’m not going to try it to find out.

Also there is still plenty of room to show all items, so the three dots isn’t saving much. Plus it is weird that there is no antidote once one has expanded it. (No three dots to make it contract again. Yes, even if… there is plenty of room…)

It is configurable. Some sites have a lot more options there than others.

And while I hear you on your point, but we generally tend to work to a rule of three and no one else has ever complained about this, that I’m aware of.

2 Likes

It’s also possible to configure which post menu items are hidden behind the ellipsis via your site settings.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was attempting to say. You did a much better job of it.

Which brings up an interesting point.
I bet a lot of those settings, only available to admins, could also be offered to users to to configure, via some …/my/preferences/interface/advanced .
Thus “increasing democracy” and reducing “admins vs. non-admins power gap”… as long as it doesn’t affect security.

The scary red trash can,

• is scary red, because our mouse pointer is right on top of it when it is revealed!
  • doesn’t happen all the time. It’s more of like those one armed bandit slot machines. It all depends on the number of hidden icons in the row, which might differ from reply to reply, even in the same post thread.

But you don’t press it, right? Since the hover colour is red, which indicates a danger. I’ve never accidentally deleted a post when expanding the ellipsis however, even if I did, I’d be able undo the action so although it seems bad you’ve hovering over a delete button its easily reversible.

As a site admin a solution to this would be to change the post menu site setting. This allows you to change the order of the post action menu. Ergo, when you expand the ellipsis you’d be hovering over a different post action. @HAWK 's point above still stands: its customisable.

2 Likes

I’m just saying the worldwide default… is like the elevator door sometimes opening out to some giant pit. Scary.

1 Like

Given this is configurable with a setting and is very easily reversible, until we hit the rule of three I think we’re good here.

3 Likes