Title disappears when user sets it

Hi,

This issue still remains :slight_smile: Will there be a fix coming for this? :slight_smile: Trust level 3 user title disappearing

2 Likes

It should be fixed since January. What are the steps to reproduce the issue? It works when I do the following:

• Set a default locale other than English (German in my case)
  • Promote a user to TL3
  • Login as that TL3 user
  • Go to the user preferences (/my/preferences/account)
  • Change the title and click Save
  • Reload the page

The selected title is still visible.

6 Likes

hey, I was redirected from this topic:

I still have this issue and from my observation this happens to all other badge related titles when date changes, while I’m not 100% sure about it.
A user report this issue to me and here’s what I tested yesterday:

1. Set a default locale (English in my case but I got issue report from user in China/Language: Chinese)
  2. Set a badge as title (I set title for 2 users)
  3. The title shows though the day but today when I check both title disappeared.

Is there a way to verify that it’s related to date change other than changing pc timezone setting? I tried this but it does not work (title did not disappear) .

I appreciate any suggestions, thanks

3 Likes

i also got this report from a user. i could not reproduce it using my old way, that acctually is fixed ,but somehow the user managed to get its title removed :S

The user sed he will try to figure out the logic how he managed to do it.

4 Likes

@HeyRR @gerhard OK THIS IS RANDOM :smiley: It seems that the title gets removed always 20:00 meaning 8:00 PM at the evening Finland local time. GMT +3 .

Something happens at that time? Some Cron job?

4 Likes

Thanks to @HeyRR’s description I’ve identified the issue. It’s the BadgeGrant background job which doesn’t handle localized badge names.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/10483

I’m going to merge that tomorrow.

11 Likes

Thanks, I can see the badge is still there after rerunning the BadgeGrant job.

However, it seems there’s another issue related to this BadgeGrant job. I used to manually bulk assign some badges(eg. give out first like or receive first like) to users who cannot get it automatically because such like is given or received in restricted category.

but when the BadgeGrant job was triggered, all users who get such badge from manually bulk assign will lose it.

My Tests:

1. Manually assign a default badge which a user cannot get it automatically due to restricted category issue but he/she meets the requirement. Badge will be removed after running BadgeGrant.

2. Create a customized badge with some SQL, e.g. grant this badge when user post new topic in a specific category. Manually assign this badge which a user cannot get it automatically due to restricted category issue but he/she meets the requirement. Badge will be removed after running BadgeGrant.

3. Create a customized badge, no SQL. Manually assign this badge which a user cannot get it automatically due to restricted category issue but he/she meets the requirement. Badge stays after running BadgeGrant.

I guess this is the correct behavior as all those manually granted users does not meet the SQL query and hence will be kicked out from candidate group. But if that’s the case then most discussion in below topic will make much less sense for forums which has very active restricted categories. Also, to my understand, short-term solution becomes impossible.

Any suggestion here? I can simply stop doing that but just curious if there’s a way to deal with it.

1 Like

You can stop this by turning off the “Run revocation query daily” setting, but you may not be able to do that for built-in badges.

1 Like

Is this deployed to all services? We are still seeing this issue. https://keskustelut.inderes.fi/

EDIT: Oh i guess master is not automatically deployed to all discourse hosted services i guess. When it is supposed to be released?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. I’m going to make sure your site gets deployed on Monday.

5 Likes

@Yu_Gong1 Your site has been deployed today.

@HeyRR Feel free to create a #feature topic for a site setting to allow badges in private categories.

4 Likes