TL4 can't undelete their own posts

We just upgraded to 2.8.0 and TL4’s can’t undelete their own posts.

I mean, they can as long they don’t refresh the page: once they do, their (deleted) post no longer shows on the topic and it is not behind a “view hidden posts”. Staff can still see the deleted posts (within the 24h), just not the post author. This seems to happen only with TL4 as far as I tell, but I only tested versus a TL2.

Not sure if relevant, but I reported this same issue last year when we upgraded to 2.7.0 and a fix was done. But, we never got around testing that specific bit as it wasn’t back-ported and the original (security) report had been about another issue (also related with TL4’s) that was addressed on 2.7.5, so we only tested that part.

Anyhow, in short, TL4’s can’t undelete their own posts on latest stable.

5 Likes

Isn’t that a sufficient workaround for now? I agree it is a bug but I’m having a hard time seeing this as critical enough to dedicate engineering resources to it…

2 Likes

Once they navigate away from the topic, there’s no obvious workaround for them to retrieve their own post.

I agree that it’s not critical, but doesn’t seem trivial either, imho? Being able to reverse a delete of a post is a (nice!) base feature of Discourse that is even mentioned on the tutorial. But of course is up to the Discourse team to prioritise their work — just wanted to report that the issue is still present and I don’t expect an immediate fix. Would contribute with a fix myself if I understood enough of the codebase, but I’m afraid I do not.

3 Likes

A year and a half later this bug still exists. Are there any plans to fix it?

4 Likes

I guess this is not a bug. TL4 cannot view deleted posts by default, including their own, so not being able to restore their posts after a refresh is expected behavior.

SiteSetting.tl4_delete_posts_and_topics can modify TL4 visibility for deleted posts.

2 Likes

I think in this case the difference is that a TL0-TL3 gets a 24hour window in which to change their minds, but TL4s get a page refresh and gone.

It is a little quirky, but I don’t think it crops up enough to prioritise.

2 Likes

Users with lower trust levels can still undelete their posts within 24 hours. However, as a TL4 user, if you accidentally delete a Private Message (PM), the site refreshes automatically. Discourse’s way of having more than one topic draft is to write a message to yourself. Such messages usually have no replies, so you can delete them yourself. So hitting the bin instead of the pencil, when you want to edit, triggers an automatic refresh. As a result, your draft is lost or you have to ask an admin to restore your deleted message.

I lost more that one draft that way. So now I try to remember to write a reply just to protect my draft.

4 Likes